Your viewing journal

Citrus (Dub) Episode 10
Darling in the FranXX (Dub) Episode 9
Violet Evergarden (Dub) Episode 12
Beatless (Sub) Episode 10
Katana Maidens (Sub) Episode 12.5
Record of Grancrest War (Sub) Episode 12
The Seven Heavenly Virtues (Sub) Episode 10 (Complete)

Gurren Lagann: The Lights in the Sky are Stars (Film)
So, what did you think of the alternative take on who wallops Rossiu? I thought it was really sweet.
"Good for you, Rossiu. You have someone there who cares enough to belt you one." :)

Unless you cry with tears of laughter at the very silly translation error that appears in both English sub and dub!
(Violet Evergarden ep 12) I'm intrigued. Care to share?

So, what did you think of the alternative take on who wallops Rossiu? I thought it was really sweet.
"Good for you, Rossiu. You have someone there who cares enough to belt you one." :)

Thought it was touching, the movies are alright overall, though I'd still like to rewatch the full series eventually.

Thought it was touching, the movies are alright overall, though I'd still like to rewatch the full series eventually.
I just rewatched the series only recently so, ironically, I'll be rewatching the films pretty soon. I love that second one to bits.

What did you think of that new angle on the ending, where Simon asks the village to use their new water supply to grow flowers (for Nia)?

That rounds things off so nicely, in heartbreaking fashion. :')

I just rewatched the series only recently so, ironically, I'll be rewatching the films pretty soon. I love that second one to bits.

What did you think of that new angle on the ending, where Simon asks the village to use their new water supply to grow flowers (for Nia)?

That rounds things off so nicely, in heartbreaking fashion. :')
That was another nice touch. The ending is bittersweet but suits GL nicely.

I put in my little review:
There's also some weirdness in the writing. Having established the importance of a bridge along a railway the Majors brother explains that they should expect an attack on said bridge, but then says it took 10 years to build the tunnel! According to someone on MAL the line about the tunnel is correct from the Japanese, but something is wrong somewhere.
Dispite being condescending when initially talking about people commenting on the Japanese (and dispite me saying it was the sub and dub not my interpretation) after I made the same comment on MAL
Anyways, I initially thought those who post in the episode discussion threads watch the anime raw because they understand Japanese but it seems like they don't and start complaining without understanding a thing.
he later admitted
So whatever I had been writing were based on what I heard while watching them raw. I may not be accurate because I know very little Japanese.
after I posted the full subtitle script from that scene, so I don't know what is going on:

Soldier: Where do you think they will attack?
Dietfried: Somewhere where we slow down.
And somewhere where it will be hard to restore if it is destroyed.
The Grandezza Bridge! (which Violet flew over earlier and the pilot called it so)
It took ten years to build that tunnel(!?)
The transcontinental railroad will be out of commission for some time if it is destroyed.

Also, separately, there was a scene with a wide shot of some mountains with a citadel on top one called Intense. Now the Japanese VA says Intense (as in the name of the place in English, or whatever the language of the area is) as it is a reference to something she remembers. The sub also says Intense, but they translated an English word (or reinterpretated it) to beautiful (as in it was a beautiful view) in the English dub!

Last edited:
How did you like it? I think the series with more room for development for the elements it wanted was better, but they did mix up what was needed to run the gaimeliths

Good:
  • Animation was pretty decent and the fight scenes looked great
  • Music is as good as the series, though it's mostly re-used assets
  • An interesting take on the franchise
Bad:
  • Characters are either useless or do not have enough development to be worth caring for
  • Character designs are hit or miss
  • The story is full of plot holes and quick outcomes
  • Not enough runtime to cover the story
I decided to give it a 4/10 but if I hadn't seen the series it would be at least a 6/10.

Over the past few days:
Girls und Panzer ep 1-12
Girls und Panzer OVA ep 1-6
Girls und Panzer This is the Real Anzio Battle!
Girls und Panzer der Film

Panzer vor! The tank battles are truly enjoyable and was positively surprised by the movie, nothing too spectacular story wise, but a good portion of the screen-time was just glorious, uninterrupted tankery.

Killing Bites ep 12 (complete ...this time for real)
Not a bad episode at all, probably the best of the show.
I think it would've been a better show altogether if it focused more on the politics/"behind the scenes" of the battles from the start. Hitomi killing(?) Notomo actually surprised me, but as with most deaths, they somehow always turn out to survive. I already expected he'd survive, given it was only a "scratch" over his body, rather than a stab through the heart or a slit of the throat.

Now it wasn't very clear if Hitomi deliberately didn't kill him or subconsciously held back or something. She did seem quite sad about it, though that might be that she's only sad about "betraying" him. Probably never going to know, as I don't expect a second season, nor do I plan on picking up the manga.

My final guess would be that she did intent to kill him, but it turns out he didn't die on the spot, someone found him and he underwent the treatment to become a therianthrope, which he has the funds for. I mean the setting is quite advanced medically (given the therianthropes and reattaching arms, etc...) so it isn't unthinkable that he could be saved, in which case it feels almost a given to make him a therianthrope.

Seraph of The End (complete)
Didn't like the ending. It's another anime original ending because the manga hadn't gone past that bit. Enjoyed it until then though.

Takunomi (1-5)
Funny in places, but I think the best way to describe this is Ms Kuizomi (and her flatmates) Loves Alcoholic Beverages
It's slice-of-life comedy antics with educational/informative foodstuffs but with actual character development.

Dragon Ball Z Kai Episodes 59 - 98
Whilst everyone else is finishing Super I got to watch and finish the Trunks and Cell Games sagas and it was pretty fun. It's been almost 18 years since I last watched these episodes and so it's surprising to see just how much I remembered and how much I had forgotten in the meantime. Cell was nowhere near as cool or creepy as I remembered, but I guess a lot of it was due to the mystery being removed, back when this was airing I remember this being pretty crazy, it is funny however how they took the concept of Frieza and turned it on its head, Cell is constantly outmatched and overshadowed here, almost taking Vegeta's place. It really does feel like a great end to the series, Gohan finally gets his moment but of course I have the Majin Buu stuff to look forward to. Even though these are the most recent episodes they are the most cloudy for me, Super Buu onwards is a blur and so it'll be fun to go back and see what's what because I always felt that these were the weakest parts of Z. I have a feeling I'll like these sagas more 15 years after I first gave them a shot.

Only real disappointment is how much better the original scene of Gohan turning SSJ2 in Japanese is.

Kanon eps 11-14
I think most of the girls, thing, has been either revealed or heavily hinted at. Makoto was a fox that turned human, Mai can see demons and fights them at night, Ayu rather than dead which I thought at first is possibly an angel, Shiori is possibly the dead one, she has weird wobbly lines around her like the demons that Mai fights in the OP and Nayuki seems to have narcolepsy, maybe hinting it's all a dream.

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-8

The plan regarding my backlog has changed slightly. I started off watching 3 2-cour shows with 4 eps per day, however since Zeta Gundam is 4-cour I'm switching it around a bit. I'll be tackling 2 titles at a time; one on Zeta Gundam and the other can be anything. Amagami SS+ will be the other title planned and then once that's finished I'll pick another title to replace it and etc. Once Zeta is done, ZZ will then take over its role.

Darling in the FranXX episode 12 Holy balls the second half is gonna be a ride.

Haikyu!! 2nd Season episodes 4-18

A MAL Documentary A riveting piece that might just rival the best, it truly did show a whole new world 5/5

The Wind-of-Youth Group Crosses the Mountain Pass (Film) A fun little story about a teenage student who hitched a ride with a performing family troupe and finds himself helping them through tough times. These early Suzuki films so far have rather likeable and charming leads, which adds to the enjoyment. Overall, this was solid, not amazing but a fine watch. 3.5/5

A MAL Documentary was quite good I thought. Felt a bit rushed compared to the manga though and the lack of Japanese dub was disappointing. 6/10

Dagashi Kashi 2 (Sub) Episode 12 (Complete)
Killing Bites (Sub) Episode 12 (Complete)
Takunomi (Sub) Episode 12 (Complete)

Backlog
Oshiete! Galko-chan (Sub) Episode 7 - 12 + OVA (Complete)

Back