Do you blind buy Anime?

Majority of the stuff I buy are blind-buys. I know what I like, and I do enough research on something beforehand that, 99% of the time, I'm pretty sure I will enjoy what I'm about to buy. I guess in that respect, it's not really a "blind" buy, but I can't imagine the amount of people who buy shows that they have literally no idea about whatsoever must be pretty low. Seems like a good way to waste a bunch of money and end up with a bunch of shows you don't like.

I also don't tend to re-watch stuff very often, so any non-blind-buys I get are shows that I love and feel I absolutely have to own a copy of. See: AL's Hyouka even though I already own Funi's and throwing down almost $300 on the Aria Kickstarter.

Personally I don't blind buy much, exceptions being mvms deal of the week because for a tenner, why not? If I don't own it/haven't seen it I think I may as well. Other than that I might buy a show without watching an episode if the synopsis is very much up my street, as my free times decreased to what it used to be my blind buys have decreased, might as well invest my time in something I know I'll like rather than using it on something I might not like.

Other obvious exceptions would include later series in a show I like but as I've already watched some of the show as whole would that even count as blind buying?

I have started the streamin just ashame i watched everythin dubbed so only use funimation as i dont have a pc i use my ps pro... Wish hidive would hurry up with a app!!!!!
Yeah, their videos don't work on the PS4 browser :-( They've got two shows from the last season that seemed be interesting and Girls Last Tour from this season. Plus a lot of other stuff.

There is some dubbed stuff on Crunchyroll, you could sign up for a free trial and get a load in for 2 weeks. Plus of course Netflix.

Nice to see an avatar on your profile :)
So What's Your Avatar Pic?

I don't blind buy much, if I do I make sure that it's at least got a lot of good reviews and is recommended and isn't streaming.

Last edited:
Pretty much 100% blind buys here. (Old stuff getting new releases is the exception) Reasons:

1) Prefer Dubs. Streaming experience for dubs is terrible.
2) Tried streaming. Found it too difficult to keep track of seen vs not seen. Having a pile of each is easy.

Like 95% of my anime purchases are blind buys, the rest are continuations of longer series' (I.e the Bleach Blu Ray sets and Shippuden seasons) or shows I've already watched through streaming. So far there's only been one or two instances wherein I regret buying a series, and even then I'm willing to give another try. Most of the time I'm left satisfied with what I've bought, and I've discovered some real hidden gems by buying random titles. My collection has really grown as a result of all this.

I usually do a bit of research into a series before buying, but even then there have been anime that have been given low scores that I've liked and vice-versa, so I just go by how interested I am in the premise. Also a company like Anime Limited can sway me into committing to some real pricey blind buys just because of the content both on disk and physically (I love me a good booklet and art box :p)

Last edited:
I used to be a sucker for the DOTW. I cannot resist bargains. It's a curse lol. But I haven't blind bought anything from MVM in years now as they are poop. AL is the only place where I'll trust them and blind buy and I haven't been disappointed yet.

I used to be a sucker for the DOTW. I cannot resist bargains. It's a curse lol. But I haven't blind bought anything from MVM in years now as they are poop. AL is the only place where I'll trust them and blind buy and I haven't been disappointed yet.

Bit of a difference between blind buying something at £10 as opposed to £40 though

Depends how you look at it. I guess i would go as far as saying that most of the stuff i buy are series/movies that i haven't seen at the time of the purchase but i always at least look mal score before buying. I never buy something with zero information but it's not like i really look into something if the price isn't high.

Bit of a difference between blind buying something at £10 as opposed to £40 though

Yeah definitely. I used to blind buy for higher though back in the Noughties. Most of them proved to be lucky purchases, like Death Note and GITS SAC way back when. But some weren't, like Requiem From The Darkness and Black Lagoon. They're still on my to watch list after like a decade.

And also, the post is about blind buying anime which I do. Cost doesn't really matter here, blind buying does.

A girl I used to be friends with in college was an anime nut, and becasue I was the only one of our group to share this interest, we would go to HMV together, and she would literally ask for my opinion on two anime series she had in mind, that she hadn't seen before (total blind buying). I would look at the DVD covers, and pick one based on what the animation and charactes looked like on the cover. She would then watch it, tell me how good it was, and then loan it to me. Sometimes it payed off: Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040; Millenium Actress (need to check out more of Satoshi Kon's work); Read Or Die (wasn't bad); Magic Knight Rayearth; Escaflowne...

Wasn't so keen on Exel Saga or Witch Hunter Robin though...

A girl I used to be friends with in college was an anime nut, and becasue I was the only one of our group to share this interest, we would go to HMV together, and she would literally ask for my opinion on two anime series she had in mind, that she hadn't seen before (total blind buying). I would look at the DVD covers, and pick one based on what the animation and charactes looked like on the cover. She would then watch it, tell me how good it was, and then loan it to me. Sometimes it payed off: Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040; Millenium Actress (need to check out more of Satoshi Kon's work); Read Or Die (wasn't bad); Magic Knight Rayearth; Escaflowne...

Wasn't so keen on Exel Saga or Witch Hunter Robin though...

That’s unfortunate, I really liked witch hunter robin!

Back