UK TV channel VICELAND announces daily anime programming from 17th July

I will say I think they're being perhaps optimistic with regards to the crossover between the anime fanbase and the Archer/It's Always Sunny fanbases. Of the people I know in real life who watch Archer and It's Always Sunny, I can't see them going for anime. I doubt they've been introduced to it, so maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see happening.

I've watched every episode of It's Always Sunny multiple times. Andrew watches it. I wouldn't be so sure that there's no crossover appeal; there's evidence right here that there is.

I've watched every episode of It's Always Sunny multiple times. Andrew watches it. I wouldn't be so sure that there's no crossover appeal; there's evidence right here that there is.

I didn't mean to imply that there was no crossover appeal, just that it might be harder a sell that it is being made to sound. I'm not sure I can quite explain what I mean in words, but that of the people I know who watch those shows but not anime probably couldn't convinced to watch anime. I kinda get the feeling it's mostly "Anime fans who also like Archer/It's Always Sunny" not "It's Always Sunny/Archer fans who also like anime".

I'll probably be proven wrong by this, but I'd quite like that. As I said, despite my misgivings about Vice as an organisation and despite my lack of optimism in general, I do actually want this to succeed. Even though I already own most of the titles included, I'm somewhat tempted to subscribe to Now TV around that time to show my support. (That and Game of Thrones is coming. :p)

That and it's also directly clashing with Family Guy and American Dad! on ITV2 most nights, which have the advantage of familiarity and also being overt comedies

I did mention that these were on FX late (usually newer episodes) itv2 has pretty much taken BBC three's slot which is a little earlier. What annoys me is that there is a tonne of repeats most of the week around this time if the networks here expanded a little bit they'd fill those slots. I guess streaming services get most of those shows first though

That all said if AL could get something going with Manga to get Sailor Moon and DB/Z running so Toei don't have that excuse to hide under and Funi/whoever could get those streaming that would just be swell.

As far as I'm aware KIX TV still has the streaming rights to DBZ Kai, perhaps they would be a good company to partner with? Especially if a package deal could be made, ie family friendly titles could be handled by KIX and series directed towards adults could be handled by Anime Limited?

The problem is they tried that before with AnimeCentral and that was such a high level flustercuck that I wouldn't be suprised if Sony UK took a permanant chair to all future plans.

Let's see how stuff goes first with the first wave, then we can figure stuff out after that :)! But fresh content is always needed - see Toonami for example on that frontier and it's refresh rate :).
Honestly if you did Toonami's "Glue Factory Lap" system of putting a recently finished show in the back of the queue that would probably work.

Last edited:
This appears to be the schedule for Viceland for the first anime repeats:

17th July: Cowboy Bebop double bill (Ep. 1-2) starts at midnight. Repeated at 3.20am.
18th July: Cowboy Bebop double bill (Ep. 3-4) starts at midnight. Repeated at 3.50am.
19th July: Cowboy Bebop double bill (Ep. 5-6) starts at midnight. Repeats of episodes 3-6 at 2.50am.
20th July: Cowboy Bebop double bill (Ep. 7-8) starts at midnight. Repeated at 3.50am.
22nd July: Cowboy Bebop double bill (Ep. 9-10) stars at 1.05am.

So bebop is royalty free now? Sounds like the AS anime block again. Soon they'll have ghost in the shell (the original) and call it a day. If you want the quality shows on TV I don't know actually speak to the rights holders maybe?

So bebop is royalty free now? Sounds like the AS anime block again. Soon they'll have ghost in the shell (the original) and call it a day. If you want the quality shows on TV I don't know actually speak to the rights holders maybe?

I have no idea what you're saying here...I am the rights holder, it's not royalty free and they paid to screen it so...?

Best,

Andrew

I have no idea what you're saying here...I am the rights holder, it's not royalty free and they paid to screen it so...?

Best,

Andrew
I'm just saying using one show to fill those slots isn't good. I've seen it happen before and the ones doing it before had 2 short years on mainstream TV didn't bring anything new like more anime to UK TV

Yeah two eps a day is going to be used up PDQ.
Don't know if you're saying it's a bad thing or not but it's still nearly a month of one show. Viceland is showing a lot more care for it's regular shows at this rate. Earlier slots and showing what they do have now (some people may be mad for ghoul) will show that they do want this stuff on their network

Back