Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Sorry all didn't see the replies till now and totally forgot to post my thoughts on the movie. Well I really liked it and would give it 8/10. I liked they went a different route with it. We'll sort of haha

As for season 2 I agree it felt rushed but I didn't like the bad guy and how it played out. It seemed a bit cheap to me.

Btw how do I hide spoilers now. Not done it since the site changed and can't seem to figure it out.

Last edited:
The Heroic Legend of Arslan season 1 - 6/10

I have to admit that I did start watching this cause I've bought the ps4 game. Then I've decided to watch the anime so I could understand better the story.

Anyway, the series started really well but then just got stalled in the middle and only the last 3 eps got back my attention. Not only cause the action was back but cause I was at the end of the show lol The characters are ok, they have to try better to surprise me these days. The plot is bland and I couldnt never get hyped for the next episode. Never. Not once. Well maybe the first 2 or 3 episodes but that's it.

I always had this series on my watching list mainly cause Hiromu Arakawa (FMA) was involved.

In the end, I got a bit disappointed with the show and that leaves me wondering whether to watch the 2nd season or not even though its only 8 episodes...

In the end, I got a bit disappointed with the show and that leaves me wondering whether to watch the 2nd season or not even though its only 8 episodes...

Thanks for that I didn't know it was only 8 eps. I was putting off watching both seasons seeing as FuniNow only has 7 eps of S2. I presumed it was a full series like the 1st and was working out when it would be all be up. So I could marathon the whole thing.

Bit worried about it though, no one has raved about it, in fact not heard anyone say it's really good but it does have a good rating on ANN. Guess I'll have to just watch it and see.

My Love Story - Thought the premise at times wore thin, I really enjoyed this show, mostly for the relationship between Takeo and Suna if i'm being totally honest. I liked the romance between Takeo and Rinko, but at times I thought her character was too perfect, and I also harbored the desire for Takeo to end up with anyone but her!

Some nice episodes throughout, some great humour at times and a fitting conclusion

8/10

Dimension W - 6/10

Another disappointing anime. I thought the plot was seriously lacking. I did like the two main characters but they couldn't save it.

The Case of Hana and Alice / Hana to Alice Satsujin Jiken

I quite enjoyed the film, it's something odd and a bit different and that probably works in it's favour. I'd say it's kind of a slice of life film, there is a main storyline that reaches a resolution by the end but much of the film is spent on insights into the lives of a variety of characters. The main story, about two girls who get to know each other while trying to uncover the truth behind some past events (that have been spun into a legend of sorts), doesn't really get fully started until a good way into the film and feels like it is used more to tie the series of events together rather than as the primary purpose of the film. Even so, people who prefer a more straightforward and focussed storyline may be able to enjoy the film because it does handle the flow of events fairly well and generally feels like it's moving towards a resolution (if, perhaps, a little slowly at the beginning).

The main strength of the film for me was the characters. The main characters, Hana and Alice, aren't necessarily "normal" but they feel like believable and realistic people. We mostly follow Alice through the film and what we see feels like a natural effect of the personality that Alice has rather than feeling like we're just following a story that the characters exist to tell. Some of the characters are particularly odd but even the strangest tend to justify their personality and still feel believable (possibly depending on your own experiences with people). The little glimpses into the lives of the characters that we get help to make them feel more like real people and also makes for some interesting viewing.

The animation uses rotoscoping, I think it generally works fine for the film and it has it's own good and bad points. There may be a few moments where things look a little strange and not quite right but there are probably about as many where it captures something that might not have worked as well in a different form. Personally, I don't think I'd want to see rotoscoped animation too often because I don't think it works so well for me but I suppose it's really just a different way of doing things. There's plenty to enjoy in the film anyway, even if the animation doesn't necessarily work for you (and more so if it does, I suppose).

Overall, I did enjoy the film quite a bit. I'm not sure it'd quite make personal favourite but I'd still rate it somewhat highly and I'll almost certainly watch it again (probably from time to time). I'd certainly recommend it to fans of character focussed stories, especially slice of life fans, and it's probably worth a try in general.

Not part of the film (although it is part of the release), but I did think some of the comments by the director on animation were interesting. I might have misinterpreted, but it feels like the director underestimates what animation can do. They seemed to be trying to replicate reality, with rotoscoping aimed to bring out more realistic movements. I think one of the strengths of animation is that it doesn't have to be limited by reality and that it can show meaning in a wide variety of ways. The director seemed to think that most animation doesn't really have the capacity to capture more subtle details and movements that can indicate the feelings of the characters. While it's probably true that many anime don't make that a focus, I wonder if the director has seen shows like Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinju and others that put a lot of work into their more subtle details. I did think it was odd that the director seemed somewhat negative about animation, although they apparently haven't worked with animation much before and it's not like it's entirely unusual for animation directors to be negative about animation.

Heroic Legend of Arslan - 7/10

I thought it started very strongly but slowed down in the middle and I felt it lost all its momentum. It did end well but I kinda lost a bit of interest by that point. That's not to say it wasn't good its still worth watching and there were some interesting characters but I felt like they even they could have been fleshed out more but it was more the story that waivered. I did however think it was very well animated and they blended the CG and 2d animation very well. They also used it at the right moments (I.e. Big battles wth lots of soldiers on show). I only wish Berserk would have gone down this route. I still haven't seen it mind but very off put by the CG.

Heroic Legend of Arslan - 7/10

I thought it started very strongly but slowed down in the middle and I felt it lost all its momentum. It did end well but I kinda lost a bit of interest by that point. That's not to say it wasn't good its still worth watching and there were some interesting characters but I felt like they even they could have been fleshed out more but it was more the story that waivered. I did however think it was very well animated and they blended the CG and 2d animation very well. They also used it at the right moments (I.e. Big battles wth lots of soldiers on show). I only wish Berserk would have gone down this route. I still haven't seen it mind but very off put by the CG.

You got the same opinion about it as me. I did say some similiar things in the previous page. Though I gave it a 6 out of 10. Not looking forward to even watch the 2nd season to be honest even though its only 8 episodes long.

You got the same opinion about it as me. I did say some similiar things in the previous page. Though I gave it a 6 out of 10. Not looking forward to even watch the 2nd season to be honest even though its only 8 episodes long.

Yeah I feel a bit like that now. I may force myself to watch it though.

City Hunter Series 1 - 8/10

City Hunter was a pleasant surprise for me. It's one of those franchises with a prolific reputation and has been on my radar for ages but I've never actually got round to watching any of it. I knew the basic premise and I didn't think I would be into it for 50+ episodes but I found it laugh out loud funny from the very beginning and despite the show being essentially based around a single joke, I continued to find City Hunter highly entertaining and very amusing. I think I liked as much as I did because I really liked the characters, yes they were very 1 dimensional but he whole premise of the show worked for me. The animation looks very dated now but I'm a sucker for that type of aesthetic. I'll give it a break until I start Series 2 so I don't burn out on it, but so far highly recommended.

Drifters - 8/10

Finally I find something I liked. Absolutely loved the two main characters Shimazu Toyohisa and Oda Nobunaga, they made the show very enjoyable. I wasn't so keen on the comedic moments but then I've never really got that style in anime, it just doesnt make me laugh very often, however the action was great, I'm guessing it's obvious form my avatar what kinda action I like and this didn't disappoint add that to Shimazu's unrelenting thirst for success in battle and we have a winner.

Don't get me wrong, the show seems to be very much a half season. There is a lot to resolve but it certainly entertained me up to this point and can't wait for part 2/cour 2/season 2.... whatever you want to call it :)

Blue Exorcist the Movie - 9/10

I found the film to be very good with a sustainable plot that was good from start to finish, and introduced a very cute character for the film. The visuals and music were really good, and overall was a enjoyable viewing experience. It is much better in the non-canon department of story compared to the final episodes of the first season.

If you enjoyed Blue Exorcist I'd highly recommend watching the movie.

Back