Where is mah Code Geass BLURAY!

Matomi

Completely Average High School Student
Hey, not sure if i've posted this before or it's been mentioned but has anyone heard, seen or just anything about a Blu Ray release for Code Geass, as it's mah favourite show and it deserves one, right?! :D

Hasn't even got one in the US. I believe there's a Japanese release, though.

GitS SAC is another show in a same situation. Maybe Bandai in the US should do Bluray Anime Legends or something?

I am yet to purchase both Code Geass and Gundam 00 (even though both got lovely Beez LE releases which in any other circumstances I would have lapped up) because I thought that surely, surely there must be a BD release coming for them. Surely.

I've been thinking that for about two years now, and frankly I'm starting to feel rather like Fry's dog sat outside the pizzeria in Futurama.

ayase said:
I am yet to purchase both Code Geass and Gundam 00 (even though both got lovely Beez LE releases which in any other circumstances I would have lapped up) because I thought that surely, surely there must be a BD release coming for them. Surely.
For what it's worth, the Beez DVDs have a lovely and vibrant native PAL transfer and look fantastic. For just 18 quid one can overlook that it's not as lovely and vibrant as it would be on Blu-ray and (maybe) even overlook the no-frills packaging.

I don't feel from forum buzz that either show sold well at all in R1 (despite their popularity overall), though whether the UK did better I have no idea. I think that doing a priced-down blu-ray set would annoy the remaining Bandai customers who did buy the SE R1 DVDs, so it's probably not going to happen for a while. The 00 movie got a blu-ray release there though, so perhaps Bandai can use sales of that to judge the market for a rerelease of the TV series. Perhaps if the day comes when Beez start testing the waters with longer series on blu-ray, they can use the 00 movie as an experiment too?

I'm using it as a comparison to Geass because they came out at similar times with similar release formats (in both countries), and both seem popular with the same demographics here. I wanted 00 as a blu-ray originally, a rare case for me, but as DVDs were all that came out I just bought those instead to see the show. I'd probably upgrade that to blu-ray eventually but with Geass, I was actually quite pleased with the quality of the DVD release and it's less likely I'll double dip. Definitely one of the nicer UK releases that I've seen lately.

R

^ Also, the Bandai Mobile Suit Gundam 00 movie blu-ray is Region A/B *hugs my copy*.

One thing that might be worth keeping an eye on is if when Beez does pick it up, will it be on DVD-only here like their other releases, or will they feel it's worth risking a blu-ray flop?

fabricatedlunatic said:
For what it's worth, the Beez DVDs have a lovely and vibrant native PAL transfer and look fantastic.

*Koff koff!* Escaflowne! *Koff koff!*

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Rui said:
I think that doing a priced-down blu-ray set would annoy the remaining Bandai customers who did buy the SE R1 DVDs, so it's probably not going to happen for a while.
I think it's unlikely that conscience enters into their business decisions (and nor should it), but if so it's typical that they would develop such a conscience just as I stopped buying DVDs in order to wait for BDs...

ayase said:
Rui said:
I think that doing a priced-down blu-ray set would annoy the remaining Bandai customers who did buy the SE R1 DVDs, so it's probably not going to happen for a while.
I think it's unlikely that conscience enters into their business decisions (and nor should it), but if so it's typical that they would develop such a conscience just as I stopped buying DVDs in order to wait for BDs...

Oh, I don't believe it's a kindness thing at all, just to be clear - but if they train their dwindling fanbase of early adopters to wait instead of putting down the higher prices for a LE, they'll end up unable to sell anything other than priced down sets soon. See: Media Blasters.

I'm happy to pay a bit extra to see something sooner and in nicer packaging, but once I learn a company does a better and cheaper version shortly afterwards there's no way I'll buy their first releases any more.

R

Got mine sitting right here for both seasons.

/smug grin

But yeah, I initially assumed it was something on the Japanese side keeping them from coming out in the West (they were some of the earliest TV series BDs to come out), but maybe not.

Back