Yaoi License Announcements

The third title from SuBLime tonight - and recommended by me in Slice of Life: Someday I’ll Fall for You by Tomo Kurahashi (2 vols) November 2024. (Let's Be Together in French edition from Taifu) And there are sequels... so hopefully SuBLime will pick those up too.
someday I'll fall for you.jpg

5th SuBLime announcement, Mamita's The Metalhead Next Door coming in December 2024. Great to see more Mamita being published in English (KUMA will be bringing out Haberdashery Ginmokusei in 2025).
metalhead mamita.jpg

Nice selection of titles from SuBLime there. Probably pick up Someday I’ll Fall For You and The Metalhead Next Door (having enjoyed the digital JP copy I bought). Maybe pick up the omegaverse as well. :)

@Gemsy-chan: I honestly had given up hope of ever seeing Volume 7, especially after Sensei's comments on X/Twitter but I guess better incredibly late than never (April 2025 seems a long way away - esp. as Volume 1 came out from SuBLime in 2013). 🥹

Kinda surprised it has taken this long for SS to break into Thai novels / comics, as I know there is a lot of popular BL that comes from there. Unfortunately with KinnPorsche, there seems to be some kind of controversy surrounding the author (I gather from the comments) so that's not such a great starting point. :rolleyes:

Kinda surprised it has taken this long for SS to break into Thai novels / comics, as I know there is a lot of popular BL that comes from there. Unfortunately with KinnPorsche, there seems to be some kind of controversy surrounding the author (I gather from the comments) so that's not such a great starting point. :rolleyes:
Yeah, Yiggybean actually put out a statement yesterday saying they refuse to stock it. The vast majority of comments under the Seven Seas announcement appear to be negative, and the vast majority of ones on the Yiggybean thing are lauding them for their stance.

Seven Seas really need to think about these things when they're choosing what to license, something similar happened a while ago with the Danmei 'You've Got Mail'. Whether it will have an appreciable impact on the sales remains to be seen since neither of them are out yet.

Yeah, Yiggybean actually put out a statement yesterday saying they refuse to stock it. The vast majority of comments under the Seven Seas announcement appear to be negative, and the vast majority of ones on the Yiggybean thing are lauding them for their stance.

Seven Seas really need to think about these things when they're choosing what to license, something similar happened a while ago with the Danmei 'You've Got Mail'. Whether it will have an appreciable impact on the sales remains to be seen since neither of them are out yet.

Was the You've Got Mail situation similar in that it happened a while ago? I know with this new one there's discussion going dating back to mid-2022, certainly enough time to decide not to continue with the licensing process.

Was the You've Got Mail situation similar in that it happened a while ago? I know with this new one there's discussion going dating back to mid-2022, certainly enough time to decide not to continue with the licensing process.
I meant in the sense that when Seven Seas announced the 'You've Got Mail' license last year it got a very similar reaction in comments (incientally Yiggybean mentioned in comments they won't be stocking that either). I don't know anything about pre-existing discussions elsewhere because I'm not really immersed in those spaces.

But given the sheer number of people pointing this stuff out to them immediately, they have on both occasions had every opportunity during the licensing process to look into what the opinions on the authors were before finalising everything. The fact they either didn't care to look or looked and decided to do it anyway doesn't make them look so good.

I meant in the sense that when Seven Seas announced the 'You've Got Mail' license last year it got a very similar reaction in comments (incientally Yiggybean mentioned in comments they won't be stocking that either). I don't know anything about pre-existing discussions elsewhere because I'm not really immersed in those spaces.

But given the sheer number of people pointing this stuff out to them immediately, they have on both occasions had every opportunity during the licensing process to look into what the opinions on the authors were before finalising everything. The fact they either didn't care to look or looked and decided to do it anyway doesn't make them look so good.

Fair! And yeah I am entirely with you on the basis of SS having had ample opportunity in either case to gather this information for themselves and do something about it. I'm guessing they think it doesn't make much difference to the sales and perhaps pre-orders for You've Got Mail has reflected that, which is a shame as there are so many other things to license instead. :/

I noticed this from SS this evening:

Hello, readers! If you have constructive feedback for us, please direct comments to Seven Seas through official channels--not to any individuals working on a particular project. Contact info below. Thank you!

I find it a little difficult to understand when the publisher runs a monthly request questionnaire in which readers can ask for the titles they'd like them to license, why they would go with a title by an author who - it seems from the violent reaction - has upset a lot of people, if one is to believe the comments. But strange are the ways of publishers...

I definitely feel sorry for the translator and other staff involved who are likely getting hate for no reason.
The illustrator who had their Twitter linked in the announcement post put out a tweet saying they were being overwhelmed and that had they known any of this stuff about the author they wouldn't have taken the job in the first place.

Wish people wouldn't do that, the likely freelance artist who has been commissioned to do some work is in no way responsible for this. They should stick to aiming their ire at the corporate entity not random staff.

I find it a little difficult to understand when the publisher runs a monthly request questionnaire in which readers can ask for the titles they'd like them to license,
I've been baffled by their licensing decisions a few times in the past lol, although obviously not stuff with a huge controversy around it. A few months ago they chose to license a yuri series that had one volume, hadn't had new chapters for years, and had been effectively cancelled with no ending. That definitely had absolutely nothing to do with the surveys.

I've had similar thoughts about one or two of the yuri series they've licensed previously lol. A few months ago they chose to license a series that had one volume, hadn't had new chapters for years, and had been effectively cancelled with no ending. That definitely had absolutely nothing to do with the surveys.
That is, indeed, very perplexing and hard to explain. Although... it's probably different now but in earlier manga publishing days (much earlier!) I do seem to recall being told that US or European publishers would be offered a bundle of titles, meaning that if they wanted one title in particular, they'd also have to take on-board several others to ensure they got 'the one' they wanted.

However, I don't know if that's what's happening here as Thai novels are a very new venture for SS (as opposed to JP manga versions of Thai novels). It's something of a mystery... Perhaps they were hoping the success of the TV series (f which I know nothing!) would bring in readers?

Back