Which samurai anime should i get?

sanji no 1

Vampire Ninja
Im going to buy some anime tomorow and i have 3 anime on my mind. All of them are samurai anime. and they are:

Basilisk boxset

Ninja scroll TV series boxset

Samurai gun boxset

I think i can afford 2 of them. But i dont know which 2 to get. some help please?

Basilisk is good, but it's ninja not Samurai.

May I recommend Samurai 7 and Samurai Champloo.

EDIT: Ooh, and Highlander: Search For Vengeance. Not Samurai per se, but still guys with swords made by the guy who made Ninja Scroll.

ive got both the samurai champloo and samurai 7 boxsets

Oh well if basilisk is about ninjas doesnt bother me

Know if Samurai gun and Ninja scroll TV series are any good?

I haven't seen Samurai Gun, but I haven't heard good things about it either. Apparently it was a co-productiob between ADV and Gonzo with Western money going into anime.

I've seen Ninja Scroll TV, and I personally didn't rate it. It's very much a freak of the week show, and it's not a patch on the original movie. The trouble is that a lot of the violence and action has been sanitised for TV audiences.

If you have a little patience, it may be worth waiting for August. Manga Entertainment announced the release of Shigurui: Death Frenzy, which is a whole lot more brutal and hard-edged. It's the complete series on two discs and should RRP at £20. It does have to get through the BBFC first though. Fingers crossed.

Basilisk is my favourite Gonzo anime. That's not saying much, admittedly, but it had me captivated from start to finish. It's a twist on the tragic romance of Romeo & Juliet, only with two clans of monster ninja fighting to the death. Think Ninja Scroll crossed with Battle Royale.

Ninja Scroll TV sucks donkey nuts. Avoid.

Other titles that you may consider...

Again not Samurai, but for blood and Guts and unfeasibly large swords, you can't do without Berserk.

Otogi Zoshi's first half has Samurai in, although it's definitely an acquired taste, and has more of a supernatural sci-fi overtone.

Blonde babes with swords slaughtering demons... But no Samurai Look forward to Claymore.

Is Beez's Sword Of The Stranger out yet?

sanji no 1 said:
oh cool i love Battle Royal
know anything about Samurai gun then?
Afraid not. It's not well regarded so I gave it a miss. I'd also recommend waiting until August for Shigurui and just get Basilisk for now. Sword of the Stranger is out in the US next month, but I don't know when Beez plan to release it here.

Neither claymore or sword of a stranger are out in R2 yet.
Claymore is coming soon though, I I highly recommend it was the first volume of it already got me addicted

Ninja Scroll TV is WAY below the movie. If you seen the movie, it's not worth, if you haven't seen it yet, you could consider it becuase you won't have any expectations out of it. But that's just an average series.

To be honest i hated Ninja scroll the moive
I rented the first Ninja Scroll volume on dvd years ago but hated it. However back then, the only anime i was into were things like Dragonball etc. But now i can watch different types of anime. Is it worth giving it a second change?

ninja scroll the TV series is one of the most laughable ****-ups i've ever seen, the final episode will always stick out in my mind due to how ******* stupid it is.

Basilisk isn't a bad series but i think it goes on longer than it had to.

As for samurai gun, i havent seen it but i hear it's pretty turd.

Although you probaly have already, if you havent i reccomend checking out rurouni kenshin as thats a good samurai anime.

I really enjoyed Basilisk; as has been said it's not a samurai show but if you want some fictionalised historical brutality it's one to watch. No fancy storytelling like Cowboy Bebop - it just goes right for the throat and doesn't try to be anything else.

I've never seen Ninja Scroll TV because I've never once found anyone on the internet who doesn't hate it. Loved the Ninja Scroll move but if the follow up is that universally despised I decided to avoid it.

Have you seen the Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X) OAVs? Not the [mediocre] movie but just the specials. They're well worth a look if you're in the mood for some samurai.

Most of the really good stuff seems to be manga-only at the moment over here.

R

Samurai X is a pretty decent series.

Basilisk is probably the best out of those 3 but as someone else has mentioned, it's about ninja.

I do not recommend ninja scroll tv series as its a total waste of time watching it.

As someone menition before samurai champloo is a good one to pick.

Also Kurozuka is also a good one too.

Looks like I'm the only one who didn't hate Ninja Scroll TV :p

Anyway, Samurai X OVA's are trully awesome, the series is very good until the end of the shishio arc. Then it goes downhill.

Back