Which samurai anime should i get?

Basilisk is pretty good like a grown up version of Naruto crossed with Romeo and Juliet.

Unfortunately I own Samurai Gun. It has its moments, but it is really not worth the time.

Of the three box sets Basilik is easily the best. I would probably rate them,

Basilisk: 8 out of 10

Ninja Scroll TV Series: 5 out of 10
(Not as good as the movie)

Samurai Gun: 2 out of 10
(This last one was based on seeing episode 1 on a cover disc - it did not do it's job as it only convinced me NOT to buy the series!)

As for for some of the other suggestions,

Samurai Deeper Kyo: 7 out of 10

The Rurouni Kenshin TV series: 8 out of 10

Samurai X OAV: 9 out of 10
(Trust, Betrayal & Reflection)

Samurai X Movie: 3 out of 10
(The opposite to Ninja Scroll in that the movie is worse than the series)

Samurai 7: 9 out of 10

Rurouni Kenshin, as it just about the only samurai anime I have seen. Samurai X goes along with this, although TV series is better imo. Note: Reflection should not be watched, I regret it now and feel that I will not be able to watch the TV series ever again...and I bought it. /cry.

unellmay said:
Samurai deeper?

They got it at at mcm
I haven't seen the anime
but I read the manga
and it is gooooooddd

Yay! another Kyo fan. Finally.

Alas, the anime is terrible. Plots are warped. The cannon fodder gets replaced with generic demons and long term story arcs are wrapped up quickly and badly in order to speed things along for the short run of 27 episodes. Most unforgivably, they get Takehito Koyasu to do Hotaru's voice and it SOOOOO doesn't work for our favorite deluded fool.

And in the anime version, it all ends up being about incest somehow, which is confusing.

I recommend Basilisk, trying desperately to stay on the original topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sazazezer Mililipilipi said:
unellmay said:
Samurai deeper?

They got it at at mcm
I haven't seen the anime
but I read the manga
and it is gooooooddd

Yay! another Kyo fan. Finally.

Alas, the anime is terrible. Plots are warped. The cannon fodder gets replaced with generic demons and long term story arcs are wrapped up quickly and badly in order to speed things along for the short run of 27 episodes. Most unforgivably, they get Takehito Koyasu to do Hotaru's voice and it SOOOOO doesn't work for our favorite deluded fool.

And in the anime version, it all ends up being about incest somehow, which is confusing.

I recommend Basilisk, trying desperately to stay on the original topic.

oh that's rather disappointing I just got to volume 5 and I love it still.
I kinda read your spoiler and that just sound kinda confusing guess I won't get the anime version though I wasn't going to anyway single volumes and all

Last edited by a moderator:
Back