Steamboy UK LE release plans

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
After the recent confirmation of Columbia Tristar's plans to release Katsuhiro Ôtomo's Steamboy in the UK (on DVD) on the 6th of June, it has emerged (thanks to Eye on Anime) that they are planning two different DVD releases of this movie; UK fans have the choice of either a 'standard' DVD edition or a (limited) Director's cut version that apparently contains a "limited edition book", artwork cards and a "comic book". There is no information provided with regards to actual DVD special features like documentaries, but initial reports had suggested that at least an interview with Katsuhiro Ôtomo would be included.

Of course, more news on these much anticipated releases as soon as we discover it. Also, keep in mind that all of these release dates are regularly consumed by our abominal UK anime release schedule.

After all the positive things I heard about the Tokyo Godfathers box set, I'll definently be picking up the DC version of Steamboy. It looks like it will be a great release! But then again, anything with Ôtomo's name on it will instantly spark my interest, so I could be biased ;) ...

Like i said in the other theard i will be getting the limited editon DVD for sure as i want the Limited edition book, Artwork cards and Comic book that come with it, it sounds worth spending the extra 10 pound anyway

if it's Otomo, i'm willing to spend a little more, especially if it gives nice extras. i can't wait for the Steamboy release anyway but a special edition is really the icing on the cake.

i too will be looking forward to the limited eition release of steamboy, it will be nice for the extra.......umm.......extras! :p
since most of the dvd's i collect are most of the time are Special or Limited Eedition... it would be a nice addition to my collection.

Yeah, despite it's obvious potential with Steamboy being set in Victorian England and all, it seems that Sony weren't up for pushing a cinema release over here.

thats too bad, and the other downside of not showing any anime related movies in cinemas in the UK, is that it wont attract more new fans, thus increasing the industries potential, such as, new fans byung more anime/manga merchendice, such as dvd, manga, action figures, and so forth.....
however, i wouldnt eb suprised to see Appleseed hitting UK conema, due to the CG and all.

I'm fairly sure that perhaps the only anime film that will have more than a limited release over here this year is Howls Moving Castle. I mean Appleseed and Steamboy , had a fairly limited release theatrically stateside where anime is far more popular than here.

I never really tend to enjoy actual anime films ( other than the Miyazaki/Ghibli films ) , as I l just prefer the length of series ( Im not particularly into normal non-animated films either ). So its doubtful that I will look into Steamboy , although the fact its got a Limited Edition release planned for here is certainly good news.

Latest News on Steamboy:
Roger Ebert has reviewed Steamboy; the review can be read here. Ebert, who has praised some anime in the past, called Steamboy a "noisy, eventful and unsuccessful venture into Victorian-era science fiction." He gives the movie 2 stars out of a possible 4

he also gave Beavis and Butthead Do America 'two thumbs up' so i personally don't view him as the movie review god he's supposed to be. i'm not going to judge the film until i've seen it myself.

Concrete badger said:
he also gave Beavis and Butthead Do America 'two thumbs up' so i personally don't view him as the movie review god he's supposed to be. i'm not going to judge the film until i've seen it myself.

Yeah, It's always best to form your own opinion. Then again, can't say I didn't laugh this week when The Times gave every single film 2 stars.

i never take newspaper reviews seriously. the Times has an unparallelled reputation for the news but i don't hold their reviews in such high regaerd. and don't even get me started on the Daily Mail...

MangaMinX said:
I'm fairly sure that perhaps the only anime film that will have more than a limited release over here this year is Howls Moving Castle. I mean Appleseed and Steamboy , had a fairly limited release theatrically stateside where anime is far more popular than here.

If you trust Film 2005, Howl will be getting a cinema release here in September.
Woo followed by hoo. :)

Back