Three Japanese manga scanners arrested

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
<a href="http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20060215a2.html">Three men were arrested</a> in Japan on Tuesday under suspiscion of illegally scanning, uploading and sharing manga ("Slam Dunk," by Takehiko Inoue is an example of what they were posting) on the internet.

Their popular website was attracting over 3 million page views a month by the time it was closed and had plans to switch to a paid membership service.

Thanks to <a href="http://forums.animeuknews.net/index.php">our forum</a> user MrBrightside for this news.

Seriously were these people surprised they got arrested? They are scanning in manga in Japanese, in Japan... seems a pretty stupid thing to do to me.

I guess it's one thing to upload and distribute bootlegged material for free and another to actually start making money from it. That's the mistake they made, they went from being just a bunch of enthusiastic fans to a money making criminal organisation.

Mangaminx said:
Seriously were these people surprised they got arrested? They are scanning in manga in Japanese, in Japan... seems a pretty stupid thing to do to me.
It's where funsubbers get their material from too, it's no different. Some fans still insist that this kind of activity is legal. They're not making money from it? Just because they ask for 'contributions' instead of payments doesn't make much difference... :?

*rants and raves into the night* :twisted:

Ushio said:
Mangaminx said:
It's where funsubbers get their material from too, it's no different. Some fans still insist that this kind of activity is legal. They're not making money from it? Just because they ask for 'contributions' instead of payments doesn't make much difference... :?

*rants and raves into the night* :twisted:

I wasnt defending fansubbers, im fully aware of its illegality ;) . My main point was that they were scanning manga in thier native language in thier own country which is far more likely to get the companies interest.

i think the thing your all missing here is

Their popular website was attracting over 3 million page views a month by the time it was closed and had plans to switch to a paid membership service.

fan subbing is one thing as ur not making any money from doing it, but selling other peoples stuff is like stealing from someones house and selling their stuff on e-bay, its the worse thing you can do.

Can't get into the JT page now with out registering. There is a report at ANN about a manga importer in Finland who's offering manga for free to scanlate. Now if that don't beat all.

Back