Zen and the art of console maintenance

Dai

Death Scythe
As someone who is generally unhappy with the inaccurate, fiddly and buggy nature of much game emulation, maintaining access to my full collection of games becomes increasingly difficult as the decades roll on and things start to wear out or break. I'm curious what problems others have run into with their consoles or other electronics, and whether you were able to fix them.

I turned on my Xbox 360 for the first time in a couple of years yesterday, only to find that the disc tray wouldn't open. I figured the drive belt had probably perished, so I looked up Microsoft's instructions for how to manually open the tray. Their guide consisted of jamming the end of a paper clip into each of three small holes in the case to see which one would make the tray pop out a bit. It was presumably this haphazard due to them using a few different models of DVD drive over the years. Looking at the diagram, the paper clip wasn't intended to trigger a release catch, but instead to be jammed into the gears and push them round manually! Advising customers to blindly poke a piece of metal into the gears struck me as a bit nuts, but I gave it a go. No luck.

Fortunately, Youtube came to the rescue as usual. I saw a video of someone showing a few different ways to pry the disc tray open, and that worked almost immediately. It did involve jamming a pry tool into the edge of the tray while it was switched on though, which is probably why Microsoft didn't suggest it.

The drive belt seems to be fine, surprisingly. Instead, one of the gears had come out of alignment. I don't know if that was the original source of the problem or if I knocked it out of place while following Microsoft's poke-the-glory-hole instructions, but it was easy enough to nudge the gear back into place.

On the subject of drive bay problems, I have a top-loading PS2 slim that stopped recognising that the lid was closed. That's apparently a common fault caused by wear to the plastic that stops it connecting to a sensor properly. My interim solution was putting a paperweight on top of the console, which did work, but made me worry it might damage discs while they're spinning. Youtube had the answer again, which involved disassembling the console and putting a tiny square of duct tape over the sensor. That's worked surprisingly well so far, but I have no idea if it will come unstuck at some point.

I'm dreading what it will be like if one of the slot-loading drives on a newer console starts to act up, since that will probably be much more difficult to fix, if even possible. These days I lean about evenly between buying games digitally or on disc; that way I don't have my eggs all in one basket. There's always a potential point of failure somewhere.

I have plenty more tales of unreliable hardware, but I leave it there for now.

Things are definitely not designed to be repaired these days. In distant past my dad used to repair TVs, radios, etc. But now you cannot even buy the parts to repair them, instead the only repair option available is just to replace the entire main board with chips and all.

Things are definitely not designed to be repaired these days. In distant past my dad used to repair TVs, radios, etc. But now you cannot even buy the parts to repair them, instead the only repair option available is just to replace the entire main board with chips and all.
Yes, things have definitely become more awkward.

I bought a 2nd hand PS2 DualShock 2 controller once that had a faulty shoulder button. Opening it was as easy as removing a few screws. The inside was mostly fresh air, and it was very easy to take it apart to the point that I could see the problem was just a spring that had fallen off.

Fast forward many years to my attempt to fix stick drift on my PS5 DualSense controller. No more screws; the outer case needed to be pried open. The inside was jam packed with gizmos; there's not a spare millimetre inside that thing. It was a 16-step process to disassemble it enough to get at the analogue stick sensors, involving all sorts of fiddly little ribbon cables and the like.

While the DualSense certainly has more tech inside than its ancestor, I can't help thinking the real reason they made it so hard to access the analogue sticks was because of the DualSense Edge, their over-£200 alternative with replaceable sticks.

Back