"Millennium Actress"
"Robotech The Masters Complete Boxset [2007]"
"Robotech - The New Generation - Complete Collection"
"Gunslinger Girl - The Complete Box Set [2003]"
"Robotech - The Shadow Chronicles (2006)"
"Ghost in the Shell - Solid State Society"

Your veiws on these animes please!
:D

Gunslinger Girl is awesome, but if you're expecting a lot of action then you're going to be disappointed. Not to give too much away, but it's more to do with the relationships between the girls and their respective handlers.

Solid State Society is good. In my opinion, it was easily the best thing with the GitS name on it.

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie is utterly fantastic! Not sure about the rest of them, I have no experience with them; but Cowboy Bebop is definitely a good purchase!

GitS Solid State Society is a very good film. It's got the same style as the series and it is a good continuation.

I haven't seen the rest, but I'll say that Cowboy Bebop, Gunslinger Girl and Solid State Society are all fantastic and well worth watching.

Wildcard said:
I haven't seen the rest, but I'll say that Cowboy Bebop, Gunslinger Girl and Solid State Society are all fantastic and well worth watching.
Agreed but Millennium Actress is the best of all those that you've bought and Read or Die is a nice fun action show.

Sy said:
Wildcard said:
Agreed but Millennium Actress is the best of all those that you've bought and Read or Die is a nice fun action show.

I think Millenium Actress is the one Satoshi Kon film I haven't seen, really need to check it out.

Kendarr said:
Hello everybody!

I have just purchased the following anime:

"Read Or Die [2001]"
"Cowboy Bebop: The Movie [2001]"
"Millennium Actress"
"Robotech The Masters Complete Boxset [2007]"
"Robotech - The New Generation - Complete Collection"
"Gunslinger Girl - The Complete Box Set [2003]"
"Robotech - The Shadow Chronicles (2006)"
"Ghost in the Shell - Solid State Society"

Your veiws on these animes please!
:D

I think I have seen or have everything on that list except Millennium Actress. All pretty good stuff, except maybe Robotech - The New Generation not the best of the Robotech franchise. Personal favs Ghost in the Shell, Gunslinger Girl and Read Or Die in that order probably.

Millenium Actress is probably my favourite Satoshi Kon film. I'd be inclined to say it's more artistic than his other works, but I'd have a hard time either proving or expanding upon that - it was just the impression I got.
Gunslinger Girl is a series that tends to divide people a bit - it's stylish, rather slow, and character-oriented (in spite of what most people think of when they hear the title).
R.O.D. was a good quick bit of fun, and I wasn't really impressed by the Cowboy Bebop movie, but then I never thought much of the series either.
The others I haven't seen, although I expect GitS:SSS is much like what we got in SAC.

Read or Die (The OVA which you are refering to) is perhaps one of my favourite Anime. It puts an entire new twist on the superhero thing, mainly by making the characters far less cardboard cut outs than DC or Marvel always do, and instantly hinting at an uber plot which goes somewhere above what is presented. And perhaps most important, Yomiko is perhaps one of the nicest characters ever :p.

(The series, while slightly bitty, has a good deal of that same charm most of the time, but the OVA wins out. The only problem is its length - 3 episodes was far, far too short. It needed to be six at least!)

Millennium Actress is a wonderful film. As one can expect from Satoshi Kon it is slightly mindbending, taking a somewhat lighter touch than Paranoia Agent (but nowhere near the outright black comedy of Tokyo Godfathers) It is more than anything else a wonderful story, and very touching. The ending really does pang, and had me close to tears.

Gunslinger Girl i'm slightly undecided on. While it bears almost no other relation with it, it shares that 'casual brutality' concept of Elfen Lied, and in both cases that is very unsettling. However while the other series simply went for the jugular in its approach, Gunslinger Girl is much gentler in presenting the worst aspects of human nature - always mixing it up with some of the better ones as well. It isn't anywhere near as actionpacked as the title would suggest, but has its share of violence, but at times goes into self emo/angst paraody of the kind Evangelion ran into the ground (it didn't work then, it doesn't work now) Hence, some good stuff, but some pretty boring stuff at times as well.

Not seen the rest yet - no wish for Robotech (give me macross or you get nothing) and the others have just not been caught up with yet.

Back