Your Collection Protection Gear

Luna

Death Scythe
I think I saw some discussion about that in the What have you bought today Photos thread, figured might be worth it's own thread.

I have two closets with doors, which holds my anime collection and keeps (most of) the dust out. Those have just burst this week and I am currently trying to figure out, how to best store stuff in a most ecologic and economic way while also being ergnomic and looking nice. Stuff seems to range from simple cellophane to Manga bags to special steelbook bags, but undecided what's most feasable.

So how do you store your stuff safely?

I just use plastic containers
VUBCD50.jpg

I use a rigid thin plastic type slip box type thing... from steelbookcentral.com if I'm feeling particularly precious about something.

Think it's the SCF2 that fit the standard G2 digipaks, might want to double check though!

Here's FLCL in one.

Bme8Tct.jpg

Not being concerned with resale value or anything lasting beyond my lifetime, I don't, really. I mean I take good care of my things but I make no provision to protect them from the natural ageing process. Fading, yellowing, dust, they all add character imho.

But with no pension to speak of I have to live off the proceeds of these when I'm old! Or at least burn them for warmth or something...

I use steelbook wraps from the aforementioned Steelbook Central for anything with a slipcover and boxsets. Also keep the shrinkwrap on everything. I wrap the bigger sets that I have in cling-film to protect from dust. I Have to be careful if anything falls off a shelf. It happened recently to one of my OOP Arrow boxsets and I almost weeped. My poor baby.

I'm like ayase and just leave everything as-is. It's in sturdy shelving and nothing else; I remove all plastic wrap and just leave it in place, ready to use at any time.

R

Safe? I don't have that much really. I have a drawer under my bed full of the complete excel saga manga and a he'll of a lot of anime on BD, but I've avoided putting chunkier CE boxes in there lest they get damaged

@ayase @Rui
How do you manage with the dust then? Or just deal with it, when you pull it out and you hand is grey? I've got my watching pile in open shelves and every week, there is this awful layer of dust on them. Not so grave with shrinkpacked, I can just swipe it off and not worry about bigger grains making scratches, but feel like I don't want that for unpacked ones. x.x

@NoSurprises
Oh, that's interesting. Looks a bit pricey to do for all, but indeed valuables would get some nice protection. What plastic material is that exactly? They don't seem to have box set sizes, might try my hand on making my own then.

They get dusty over a long period but not all that quickly. It doesn't bother me. I brush it off if it's noticeable whenever I'm accessing that particular shelf. If the case is textured and no longer pristine, I can live with that; the lived-in look makes it feel as though I'm a collector and not a shop. I'm never selling my stuff anyway (when I die, that's someone else's problem).

R

I can barely look after myself let alone my things. I always handle them with respect and care though. God I used to hate lending DVDs to friends as a kid and getting back the vestigial remains of the DVD, sometimes even without the box, or sometimes just the box! They deserve a lot more respect than that, for sure.

Unless we're talking about the Golgo 13 The Professional DVD which I've buried in some deep dark nook of the house and which I hope I'll never have to come across again.

Back