You might as well face it you're addicted...

ayase

State Alchemist
Does anyone else do this when they (re)discover a band or artist they really like?

You hear one of their songs.
You think "I really like that song".
You listen to some more.
You find yourself listening to nothing but their songs for a matter of days.
You give in and splurge on all of their studio albums at once.
You continue to listen to nothing else for a few more days.
Your regular listening patterns return, and your new-found love eventually gains more equal terms with your other favourites.

This is how I become a fan of almost every artist now. It didn't used to be so, but now when I find something new which I like, I get utterly addicted to it. Until yesterday I'd had back-to-back Joan Jett on for over a week. The same thing happened when I got into Blondie and L7. Anyone else had any musical addictions? Anyone fallen out of love with a band they used to be addicted to?

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GGuBTt1qow4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GGuBTt1qow4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

Ayase, this has always been the way I've gotten into new music and bands. Despite music being my number one love, I hardly ever listen to the radio meaning I usually only find out about music from reviews in the press, friend reccomendations or hearing them at nightclubs. So when I discover a band I really love, I then tend to splurge out the cash on all their albums and listen to them religiously for a couple of months or so.

I think my biggest phases have been Nirvana, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Smiths, My Bloody Valentine and an almost unheard of band (outside Scandinavia) called Fireside with whom I was completely obsessed with for months if not years. Currently I'm doing the same with a band called Asobi Seksu and another electronic outfit called Cut//Copy.

The bad thing about these addictions is that sometimes you play songs so much, you just can't listen to them anymore since you know them so well. I can't listen to any Pumpkins albums anymore as they just don't move me. Well, maybe Siamese Dream but that's probably the only one.

Oh, and by the way I need to get me some Joan Jett stuff as I love that song from the Freaks and Geeks soundtrack (Bad Reputation?).

Regards,
K

I had such phases with metalica, iron maiden and w/i friendship society.
I do have songs phases, such as listening to sugarcubes regina for a week or yeah yeah yeah's maps.

i did kinda stop listening to Iron Maiden for about 2 or 3 years, but now i'm back into them, and i'm listening to more obscure songs suchs as No Prayer For The Dying and Hooks in You

@Kaede - Asobi Seksu... where have I heard of them before? Interesting you mention The Smiths because yes, actually I did the same thing with Morrissey as well (and got out alive). I know what you mean about overplaying, that's why I think it's a good idea to get your hands on a lot of their material quickly so you don't get bored of a particular track or album. I tend not to get addicted to individual songs for that reason.

WRT Joan Jett, this is a good place to start. Depending on the success of the upcoming Runaways biopic (though it's hard to see a film which apparently features Kristen Stewart snogging Dakota Fanning flopping) she could be set to be pretty big again next year. Which usually means a remastered back catalogue. Oh shi...

Yes...I am just going through a second coming with rage against the machine...used to love them as a kid but never listened or understood the lyrics back then...now it makes much more sense!!!

I heard one week by Barenaked ladies at the end of American pie 1 and fell in love with it. Then I started checking the band out and found I loved every song they did. As of now they are my most loved band ^.^ addiction is a scary thing.

Back