Yonebayashi Leaves Studio Ghibli

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
2rz6s88.png

The last few months have been hard for the internationally renowned Studio Ghibli, who after a number of disappointing box office returns, revealed that they are currently not developing any new projects. Following the retirement of the studio's co-founder and Acadamy Award winning director Hayao Miyazaki, eyes were fixated on who could fill the shoes of one of the anime industry's most iconic directors and unfortunately, one of the top candidates has now left Studio Ghibli.

Hiromasa Yonebayashi, the director of Arrietty and When Marnie Was There revealed during a special talk event today that following a discussion with Studio Ghibli Yoshiaki Nishimura (The Tale of Princess Kaguya), he made the decision to leave Studio Ghibli at the end of last year, stating his desire to make creative works again.

Yonebayashi's When Marnie Was There, an adaptation of Joan G. Robinson's novel, was released in Japan last summer and earned ¥3.36 billion; just over double it's budget of ¥1.5 billion. Studio Ghibli's Academy Award nominated The Tale of Princess Kaguya is set to be released theatrically in the United Kingdom on 20th March.

Source

Considering the circumstances and his reasoning, I really can't blame him for this decision. He's a creative type and if he's anything like me, he'd hate just sitting there twiddling his thumbs.

It's sad news, and sadly feels like yet another nail in the coffin of Ghibli - I had my doubts about them truly shutting up shop before, but stuff like this feels like added confirmation.

I don't see that he was left with any real alternatives, doing nothing when he could be making new films is anathema for any young director. This only really leaves Goro Miyazaki at Ghibli, who has been able to work on the Ronja series but when that's done in a few weeks I wonder what his plans are.

I really wish they'd make a film version of Ni No Kuni - it's one of the best things Ghibli has ever been involved in, and the soundtrack is probably up there with Hisaishi's best.

I second the above. I've bought the game for my Brother as a gamble for his Birthday. I love the animation and I think he'll enjoy the gameplay so if I watch him play it, we both win :p

Without trying to judge him on the strength of one film, I have no strong feelings on Yonebayashi one way or the other. Arriety was fine, but I wasn't amazed by it.

Back