xxxHOLiC & IGPX trailers online

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Anime Nation have noticed that the trailers for CLAMP's latest anime adaptation xxxHOLiC and the Cartoon Network produced series IGPX have hit the internet.

IGPX, which has been created by Production "Ghost in the Shell: Innocence" I.G. but produced for an international audience by Cartoon Network, will feature the voices of several well known American actors (Mark Hamill, Haley Joel Osment).

IGPX looks quite good (and a nice long trailer to boot), though I'm still waiting to see how the Cartoon Network influence will have effected the story telling style (if at all).

I wonder if this series has a better chance to reaching the UK than the more tradional anime series. The fact it's got CN's name all over it perhaps suggests that they will try and push it on their channels all over the world.

IGPX looks like a visual treat, the character and mechanical designs all look top drawer and those sky high vistas are eye-wateringly beautiful.

The trailer does include it's fair share of crass American consumerism though, somehow the idea of racing, destruction derby style mecha doesn't strike me as very Japanese.

However I'll reserve judgment until I've seen the finished product, hopefully this will show those Teen Titans style wannabes how it's really done. ;)

I'm terribly pessimistic about "anime-style" American cartoons. I think I'm turning into a bit of a purist with regard to anime and manga; they seem to me like a desecration of Japan's anime culture, taking the style but lacking the soul, the magic and the power, and adding a few voluminous layers of American "humor," cliche and consumerism. For some reason, this sort of thing, akin to watching films that are historically or scientifically unaccurate (i'm looking at you, Kingdom of Heaven and the Day After Tomorrow), doesn't make me happy at all. I'll follow Paranoia Agent's example and hold judgement until I've seen it.

The xxxholic anime, however, looks good, and if it's half as good as the manga it'll turn out quite good.

Back