Would you make your own artbox?

Not bad, but would certainly make cases more bulky. I've been thinking about maybe getting a BD cover template and then just printing my own slip covers, at least to go over the ugly 'essentials' labelled versions.

Yeah its a nice idea, I would have prefered a folded card one as I would think it would be more robust (but I haven't built one so cutting the card may work just as well).

I surpose with collector's edition, the boxes are nice, but the main thing i'm going for is the art books. (everyone will have their own prefrence of the best bit).
So for me probably too much effort and takes away from the reducing space element, and I would suspect It's not going to have the same shiny finish (maybe shiny photo paper and spray glue would sort that out).

@CommanderZx2 the other option would be to just print a new art cover (No glueing required), and if the previous art cover is double sided you can use the it for the inside. (I frankestien alot of my part into Season (so 2 case too 1 of 4-6 disc case) and just stuff all the art covers in one case)

Seems like an interesting project, I would love to try that. I love chipboard art boxes, and really miss Funimation's art boxes from about 5 years ago for two-part series in amaray cases. I much prefer box sets over o-card slipcovers - I really despise those.

*spends the next two hours researching sources and pricing for chipboard stock, chipboard cutters, and sticker paper. *

Last edited:
Speaking of homemade custom anime boxes - I do have two custom metal anime box sets from Paul Champagne, they are constructed from aluminum panels. He used to make all kinds of custom DVD storage boxes for anime series years ago, but no longer does them, his equipment finally wore out and broke down about 4 years ago, and he wasn't able to replace them, I guess. I have a box set for the Bandai Escaflowne 8-DVD set which he made a fair-sized run to sell publicly, and then I also commissioned him to do a one-off design for me for my three Twelve Kingdom Blu-rays from Media Blasters...

escachampbox1.jpg

escachampbox2.jpg

12kingchamp1.jpg

12kingchamp2.jpg

Last edited:
I once bodged something hideous together for Genshiken using cardboard, glue and a colour photocopier, and some empty thin Amaray cases. It’s ugly, wonky and liable to fall over standing free, but it’s better than Media Blaster’s stack pack case.

I was thinking how nice it would be to make some custom boxes in an older thread: UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

My idea was some nice wooden ones, but the ones in the OP look good here also. Possibly a bit too much effort though, 3d printing was also discussed (I don't have a 3d printer) and may result in a more easily reproduced product as you can share protect files and such.

Back