Why the Samurai Girls Blu-ray is more likely...

Just Passing Through

The Wildcard
I got a look at the DVD check discs for Samurai Girls today, and as Kaze discs, they are tri-lingual, English, French and Japanese.

Likewise that would be the case for the Blu-rays (although Kaze says definitely while Manga says maybe), and that means a single print-run would be split across two language territories in Region B, and not one.

Even with the worse case scenario, and Manga possibly choosing not to release it, that would leave the French discs open to UK import, the same way the Girl Who Leapt Through Time's Spanish release was importable months before the UK release.

The only thing that concerns me with the Samurai Girls release is that the DVD is being released first. The SD and HD releases really should be simultaneous.

Just Passing Through said:
I got a look at the DVD check discs for Samurai Girls today, and as Kaze discs, they are tri-lingual, English, French and Japanese.

Likewise that would be the case for the Blu-rays (although Kaze says definitely while Manga says maybe), and that means a single print-run would be split across two language territories in Region B, and not one.

Even with the worse case scenario, and Manga possibly choosing not to release it, that would leave the French discs open to UK import, the same way the Girl Who Leapt Through Time's Spanish release was importable months before the UK release.

The only thing that concerns me with the Samurai Girls release is that the DVD is being released first. The SD and HD releases really should be simultaneous.

There's a very boring reason behind this and it's really due to paperwork needing to be signed. My decision to delay the BD until it was and it relates to avoiding *ever* having a Xam'd or Casshern-style incident with a Kaze release.

Future titles should be simultaneous - if you want in meantime, our FR release will have the English assets too if you need urgently. Very sorry for any inconvenience there too!

Andrew, while you're here, could I offer a little feedback about Kaze releases, although I've whinged about it often enough.

It's the use of UPOPs on the discs. I can understand the logic of locking the disc when you make your language selections, it helps make them more idiotproof. Choose English or French, and you automatically get the dub with signs. Choose Japanese from the respective menu, and you get Japanese with the appropriate subtitle track.

The purist in me isn't fond of not having the option of turning the subs off during the Japanese track, although I guess it stops reverse importation. The reviewer in me would love the convenience of being able to flick on the subs during the English audio just to check for dubtitles.

But if there was one UPOP I could get rid off, it would be the timer lock. My Blu-ray player shows nothing, while my DVD player will only show time elapsed on Kaze DVDs. It would be so much more convenient if I could know the run time of the disc, by checking the time remaining at the start of playback, again, a reviewer gripe.

Just Passing Through said:
The purist in me isn't fond of not having the option of turning the subs off during the Japanese track, although I guess it stops reverse importation.
I would hope that the only reason for this is it being mandated by the Japanese company involved.

Back