Why not ask our reporter in Japan?

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Interested in learning a little more about Japan? Got a few questions about the country or its culture? Because Chris, our reporter who lives in Japan, is on hand to answer any questions you may have in his "Ask our reporter in Japan!" forum thread!

Having been answering questions since January, Chris has already built up a great archive of Japanese culture insights and quirks and while we prepare to produce a series of articles on his comments, there is nothing to stop you from speaking to him now and getting that nagging curiosity sorted out! You can drop him a line on our forums, so be sure to register and say hello sometime.

One qustion of Japanese culture that's always interested me, though I've worried that it might seem insensitive to ask, is how the events of Hiroshima and Nagasaki are viewed in Japan. I realise there are probably myriad and complicated opinions on the issues, but I'm just looking for a rough idea of the feeling about those events, and the larger context of WWII in general. I know it's probably not something I can easily understand as a non-Japanese either, but I'm interested none-the-less.

Doesn't admittedly have much to do with anime, but to be fair, a lot of anime touches upon the themes of Japans millitary and how it isn't supposed to be used for anything other than self-defence, things like that. Something that was only really established after the occupation. I've sometimes heard it reffered to as something akin to a doctrine of pacifism, and the theme of pacifism and its meaning is itself quite heavily prevalent in a lot of anime.

Sorry if I'm dragging this into 'serious' territory too quickly, and I hope I'm not being crass.

Back