Which Final Fantasy is the best in respect of story?

IV was my favourite for the epic Star Wars-esque plot twist halfway through the game X is a worthy mention as well, VII is a bit dull plot-wise in my opinion

ilmaestro said:
kupocake said:
VI Is possibly the least worst
Awww, diddums.
So we're pretending that these games are in anyway not riddled with cliche, sentimentality and plain nonsense?

Oh wait, anime forum.

edit: hey, up here. Let's not derail this any further. I shall have the last word, and the last word shall be out of sequence. The last word is "... Whatever..."

kupocake said:
ilmaestro said:
kupocake said:
VI Is possibly the least worst
Awww, diddums.
So we're pretending that these games are in anyway not riddled with cliche, sentimentality and plain nonsense?
No, we're pretending that you're about as much of a sage for pointing it out as the stuff that went inside my Christmas turkey. But yes, poor you for having to play these awful, awful games. You must really hate them for having taken away so many hours of your life. At least now you get your revenge with ingenious, totally non-cliche, comments.

edit: crazy, reading it back I almost fell asleep from how boring and sarcastic my own post was.

FF has a crowd that enjoy it, for better or worse, it gets to some people. As long as it does FF will carry on, it not going to be everyones cup of tea, and if its not it best to not moan and bitch about why you dislike it, rather spend that time enjoying things you like ? unless...bitching and moaning....are there things you like to do...then I pity you.

Jesus people, it's an innocuous comment about story quality, which funny enough, isn't the entire game? The faces may change, but this forum really has never grown up to be capable of even the vaguest criticism of these games.

edit:
ilmaestro said:
Actually, I think I've grown past any interest in the same old criticism of the games, having been listening to it for 10 years+. If you have any particularly new and insightful criticism (or, for want of a better turn of phrase, if you would like to grow up to be capable of not bringing out tired, old, predictable lines), I assure you I would be more than happy to read it.
The problem is you ilmaestro, not me. This thread was originally derailed not because I said 'Final Fantasy stories are bad' but because you posted a pithy, immature comment that had absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.
The reason you're not getting 'new and insightful criticism' is because I originally posted my opinion on 'Which Final Fantasy is the best in terms of the story?' and nothing else. You were the one who wanted to drag it elsewhere, so get of your ******** high ground already.

Next time I write something you don't like, just ignore it please? Instead of writing innumerous times about how much you don't like it in a venue where people couldn't care less about the bickering? I understand that you have a ridiculously high posts per day count to maintain, but some of us prefer these things to be over quickly.

kupocake said:
Jesus people, it's an innocuous comment about story quality, which funny enough, isn't the entire game? The faces may change, but this forum really has never grown up to be capable of even the vaguest criticism of these games.
Actually, I think I've grown past any interest in the same old criticism of the games, having been listening to it for 10 years+. If you have any particularly new and insightful criticism (or, for want of a better turn of phrase, if you would like to grow up to be capable of not bringing out tired, old, predictable lines), I assure you I would be more than happy to read it.

ayase said:
Cynicism Vs. Defensiveness, round three-million and twelve.
I'm not even sure I would call criticism of FF cynical - I used to enjoy criticizing VII and VIII myself, before I was 18. I think I'm a lot more cynical, overall, now, but perhaps a lot less boring (I wouldn't like to take a straw poll on that last one, though).

Why is it, that everytime Final Fantasy is brought up on this here forums(or on most, for that matter) do we see arguments and unnecessary comments flung in here, there and everywhere in what looks to be a brilliant attempt at derailing the topic and pushing it for a lock?

Note for future reference. Don't. Kay? now be friendly, and has constructive discussions on the matter. One word replies like "nope" don't qualify.

On topic, in what is a vain attempt to bring this back round. I'm not entire sure to be honest. I like X, always have, but Tidus generally annoys me. Battle system and story where decent enough, some of the characters though? Lackluster. Final Fantasy XII again, i enjoyed it quite a bit, but the characters didn't feel like they could carry the story that was trying to be portrayed. Perhaps it was the english voice cast that made it so, but still.

As much as i found VII enjoyable, it isn't as strong as the whole fanbase makes out. To certain extents, i prefer some of the later additions to the series more than the actual original, Crisis Core comes to mind.

If i was to touch on games outwith the general series mind you, Revenant Wings hits me as my favourite. It strengthens Penelo and makes Vaan a good character also, and the battle system is a nice change of pace for FF, so yeah, i'll put Revenant Wings as my favourite.

I'm sure I would call FFVI cliched and full of the usual sentimentality, just because it didn't hit the UK shores until the Playstation was taking its final breath circa 2002. It originally came around 93, 94?

Playing it now you've been exposed to a hundred Anime and RPGs that have copied it since is a bit of a cheap shot at the games expense. Might as well say the Cell copied Paprika or Inception.

VI remains my favourite and I've played I-XII but not XI, I'm too old to care about the series any more.

For me the seeming ending before the mid-point of the game was a great unexpected turn of events for the time and I was glad I waited for the final seconds of the countdown for Shadow to rejoin my party.

IX was mt favourite game in the series but I seem to be in the minority who actually loved VIII's Junction system, there was just something about it that once mastered you could make your characters stupidly over-powered.

Not really properly enjoyed the series since the PS2 was released though, really couldn't bring myself to like the characters in X (admittedly I got stuck on the first fight with Seymour and never got any further), XII I got bored of and none of the characters clicked and I didn't really care about what was happening (even if it has the most richly developed and convincing world) and XIII I'm chugging away at but still stuck in its really linear section.

Back