Video Game consoles.

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
If you liked Mario and Sonic when you were younger, I would have to suggest the Nintendo Wii U - The (obviously) exclusive New Super Mario Bros. U and its expanded DLC New Super Luigi U are both out now (I say "expanded" because it's available as DLC for New Super Mario Bros. U, but is also available as its own boxed game). Nintendo also have a 3-game deal with SEGA, with the exclusive Sonic Lost Word due out in October. Rayman Legends, a multi-platform game due out next week was also originally slated to be a Wii U exclusive, so a fair bit of the gameplay was made with the console's GamePad in mind (those Murphy levels). There is also Super Mario 3D World due out this December.

The only issue with the Wii U at the moment is that it really isn't selling very well, so as such, it hasn't been receiving that much third party support. Ubisoft has been fairly supportive of the console though, with both Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and Watch_Dogs due out for it and Activision are releasing titles like Call of Duty: Ghosts and Skylanders Swap Force. The Wii U has also gained a lot of attention with indie gamers, as Nintendo have really worked hard to make it easier to publish independently on their digital store, the eShop.

The PlayStation 4 is due out on 29th November for £349.99, with the XBox One expected to launch around the same time with a price-tag of £429.99. Both consoles will be significantly more powerful than the Wii U (The Wii U's power is pretty much on-par with the 360).

In comparison, the Wii U costs £279.99 for the Premium Console, which gives you 32GB of storage instead of 8GB, the black colour (As opposed to the Basic's White) and a subscription to the Nintendo Network Premium Rewards service, which gives you points for every pound you spend on the eShop (The amount of points you get is roughly 10% of the game's price in pence. So an £11.34 purchase of Pokémon Rumble U earned me 113 points, whereas the £3.02 Art Academy Sketchpad earned me 30 points). Once you have 500 points, you can redeem them for £5 off.

Depends what sort of games you want and how good your PC is. You're probably better off buying and PS3 or Xbox.
From what I hear though, most people who have a good PC buy a PS3 for the exclusives. Primarily a PS3 gamer myself, I'll admit that 99% of multi platform games look and perform better on the 360, but if you have a good PC that's a moot point since you can run them better on that.
In comparison when it comes to online you have to Pay to play online on 360 whilst it's free on PS3. You CAN pay 11.99 every 3 months for PS+ which will net you free games each month, and they aren't necessarily old crappy games either. If I remember correctly, the current lineup includes titles like Demon's Souls and Ico/Shadow of the Colossus, and there are more games available.

In my personal opinion PS3 gets a wider variety of exclusives too, but equally I'm not really into shooters anymore (Which is pretty much what most 360 exclusives are). Also you get access to some of the best series from the PS1 era (Crash/Spyro series) with PS1 classic titles from PSN and PS2 era via HD Collections of series like Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank and Kingdom Hearts, all of which I highly recommend. If you like your JRPGs, PS3 also wins hands down here.

One thing I will warn you of though. If you're coming from a good PC don't expect brilliant graphics and 60FPS from these consoles. Most games run at sub HD and 30FPS or less.

Like others have said it really does depend on what sort of gamer you want to be.

If you like family-friendly games, the Wii U would be fine for that category.

If you like Call of Duty, Battlefield, EA Sports & Rock Band type of games, the Xbox 360 and Xbox One will be most suitable due to the exclusive content (such as timed DLC or DLC than PS3 aren't able to get), more online players and more friendly to those sort of genres.

If you want to get a console with Blu-ray and play Japanese related titles from any localisation then the PlayStation 3 and 4 will be the best choice since it's region free and the Japanese prefer Sony (and Nintendo also) in contrast to Microsoft.

If you want to pay less to zero with online, PlayStation is a good way to go as their PS+ service is now only required for Online multiplayer, plus their deals are MUCH better than what Microsoft has provided thanks to the Instant Games Collection. Nintendo also have free online service though I don't know much about the online features with Wii U. The Xbox online features require a Gold subscription which can cost £35-40/year and will grant you access to all the apps, scheduled DLC, downloadable media and online gaming and chat.

I have owned a 360 for a few years now and to be honest I would rather go with the PS3 because of their PS+ service and the games they provide. A majority of the games on the Xbox are rather the same or mixed with only a few that were really interesting (Halo and Gears have downgraded a bit). I mainly bought a 360 because of Rock Band which the Wii didn't provide for a lengthy time after NA had it.

Note that nearly every third party game are guaranteed to be released multiplatform for Xbox and PlayStation so you shouldn't miss out much if you wanted a certain title, like Assassin's Creed, GTA and Minecraft.

Oh, if you like indie developed games then the PS4 will provide titles such as Minecraft, Binding of Issac, Fez, N (known as N++) and Ade's Odyseey plus tons more during their first few months.

Sorry for deleting the top post - it was a secret spammer (just one of the many I've been culling today). For future reference the question everyone is answering is "Which console is for me?".

R

Rui said:
Sorry for deleting the top post - it was a secret spammer (just one of the many I've been culling today). For future reference the question everyone is answering is "Which console is for me?".

R
I think the rate at which these spam bots are gaining more and more intelligence is quite alarming. Soon, they might become completely sentient and try to overthrow us.

*sigh* Someone seems like a perfect for for the Wii U and it turns out they're not even real. Nintendo's problems summed up.

The biggest problem with the Wii U is undoubtedly the lack of Nintendo's core first party titles, with even many dedicated Nintendo fans holding back, which means the install base is low and as such, third party developers are staying away, so there's no incentive for people to make the jump. I think that instead of focusing on their lesser known titles like Pikmin 3 and promoting new IPs like The Wonderful 101 (Platinum Games, but distributed by Nintendo), Nintendo should have put more effort into getting titles like The Legend of Zelda, Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U out sooner - those will be the games that will attract people to the Wii U. Then they can build on their smaller franchises, like they did with the 3DS.

The 3DS was selling terribly, they released The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 in the space of 6 months, it exploded over Christmas, then Nintendo released titles like Kid Icarus Uprising, Fire Emblem Awakening and Animal Crossing: New Leaf, which are easily some of the best games on the system, but they wouldn't have sold anywhere near as many copies prior to the 3DS' revival.

What doesn't do Nintendo any favours either is that the games they release are too similar to recently released entries. For example:
New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS, August 2012) -> New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U, November 2012)
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS, May 2013) -> Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U, November 2013).
Super Mario 3D Land (3DS, November 2011) -> Super Mario 3D World (Wii U, December 2013)

Yes Nintendo, we want you to release a big first party name at launch, but not one that is practically the same as a title you released only 3 months before. Sure, it may sound hypocritical of me for asking for a new Zelda and Mario Kart, despite Skyward Sword and Mario Kart 7 only launching in late-2011, but at least with Zelda, there's the promise of a new story and brand new environments and Mario Kart has always been a multiplayer favourite (and Mario Kart 8 is already confirmed to be 1080p, 60fps =3). I imagine Wind Waker HD will sell well for a Wii U game, but an entirely original Zelda will bring the people in. And at least Mario Kart 8 won't be called Mario Kart 7 U.

Also, second hand PS3s for £80? I need to look into those. My little brother has a PS3, but I'd prefer to have my own - especially for download titles.

Joshawott said:
The biggest problem with the Wii U is undoubtedly the lack of Nintendo's core first party titles
On the contrary. The most paramount of problems faced by the Wii U is the fact that its name, if chanted rapidly, sounds like an ambulance siren.

"We-you-we-you-we-you."

Back