Variety.com review live action Mushishi movie

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Variety.com has posted a somewhat positive review of Katsuhiro (Akira, Steamboy) Otomo's live action adaptation of Mushishi, lamenting the movie's etheral, relaxed atmosphere while at the same time praising it's unsettling narrative and impressive supernatural imagery.

I have to say I don't like that review much, it seems to be saying the film is slow as no real story and is filled with gobbledegook terms..... but then again I never trust reviews infact I usually love the films they hate.

It's interesting to see what an 'outsider' makes of it, although the causes they have for complaint (the slow storyline and general oddness) are part of what makes the concept such a good one in the first place!

I suspect it'll turn out to be a cult film anyway, with the majority of fans being familiar with the story and characters beforehand - especially since Otomo is (entirely?) known as an anime film maker. If nothing else, it seems to have captured the atmospheric side of things with the all-important Mushishi 'feeling'.

Fingers crossed for a DVD edition with English subs, eh? :)

Don't you think Tales of a Travelling Bugmaster sounds pretty lame compared to just Mushi-shi?!

I'm not sure I'd bother with a L/A version of Mushi-shi; I think it would lose a lot of the original charm with "real" people and CGI Mushi.

Back