US anime announcements at Anime Boston

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Over this last weekend in the US, the large "Anime Boston" convention was held and a number of new US anime acquisitions have been announced or confirmed.<ul><span class=menu>ADV<br>The Place Promised in Our Early Days

FUNimation<br>Sunabouzu (renaming to Desert Punk)

Geneon<br>Bottle Fairy
Doki Doki School Hours
Starship Operators</span></ul>Keep in mind that many of the new titles from ADV, FUNimation and Geneon are likely to see an eventual UK DVD release (via ADV UK and MVM respectively).

Doki Doki School Hours is really good and very funny. If you want comedy mixed with school fun, and a better choice over Azumanga Daioh any day!!
Bottle Fairy is a pretty poor shoujo title to have chosen (maybe the license was cheap :wink: ).

Yeah, Beyond the Clouds is the only one I'd buy too.

Apparently FUNimation has lined up some more Gonzo series to announce at further conventions. So I'm guessing that includes Basilisk and Speed Grapher; both shows are pretty violent and not the typical FUNimation (Dragonball Z, Full Metal Alchemist etc) licenses.

I expected some of the more popular shows of recent seasons to be announced as licensed at this con really. The three Geneon licences seem fairly unessecery when the market is meant to be oversaturated as it is.

Paul said:
Yeah, Beyond the Clouds is the only one I'd buy too.

Apparently FUNimation has lined up some more Gonzo series to announce at further conventions. So I'm guessing that includes Basilisk and Speed Grapher; both shows are pretty violent and not the typical FUNimation (Dragonball Z, Full Metal Alchemist etc) licenses.

As of last month, FUNimation own the speedgrapher.com domain name- that doesn't necessarily mean they've licensed Speed Grapher but it does indicate that they're interested in acquiring it at the very least.

I thought Funimation owned domain names for Speedgrapher , Basilisk and Trinityblood now . Not that it means a guarenteed licence of course.

Miaka-chan said:
Doki Doki School Hours is really good and very funny. If you want comedy mixed with school fun, and a better choice over Azumanga Daioh any day!!
Most of the people I know that have seen both preferred Azumanga. Doki Doki School Hours (or Sensei no Ojikan -- why must it have two names?) is still good fun. It also features the worst animated fireworks I've ever seen.

Miaka-chan said:
Bottle Fairy is a pretty poor shoujo title to have chosen (maybe the license was cheap).
Actually I've been told that Bottle Fairy is targeted at adult males, having been serialised in a bishoujo magazine. I'm still rather surprised at it getting licensed, though.

I would consider those domains more likely than normal since they are all series from Gonzo and FUNimation have been quoted as saying they are "“going Gonzoâ€

Colin said:
Miaka-chan said:
Most of the people I know that have seen both preferred Azumanga. Doki Doki School Hours (or Sensei no Ojikan -- why must it have two names?) is still good fun. It also features the worst animated fireworks I've ever seen.
I've never been in the most people catagory! I think I just have a weird sense of humour and so found Doki Doki much funnier!! I believe an alternate title for it is Teachers Time, which is the Sensei No Ojikan part!!

Paul said:
I would consider those domains more likely than normal since they are all series from Gonzo and FUNimation have been quoted as saying they are "“going Gonzoâ€

well tbh there are always people who whine when anything gets licensed- the same people who can find any excuse to avoid actually buying DVDs.

Back