UPS are terrible

Blaize

Hunter
Okay so recently I got a customs charge which was unfortunate but is a rare thing for me. Anyway this time my package was handled by UPS and their service is mostly okay but terrible in one key area, paying the charge.

Firstly their handling fee is £11 rather than Royal Mail's £8.

Secondly you cannot pay the charge online! In 2016 one of the worlds biggest couriers doesn't accept online payments for charges like this, instead you can either pay over the phone (which I avoided like the plague, could be easy, could also be hell) or by cash. So I paid by cash which brings me to my third point.

Thirdly the driver doesn't carry change! So while you can pay in cash you damn well better have the exact right amount because otherwise your screwed, either by not caring about the change and overpaying or despite having enough still not being able to pay the charge. Now at first I understood why a driver might not carry change, you know safety issues and stuff. Then I remembered two things, firstly if he recieves cash for charges then he is carrying money and likely some sort of change (charges don't tend to round up) and secondly the value of the vans contents far outweighs what monetary change a driver might be carrying so the safety aspect is totally redundant.

So in the end I said to the driver he could keep the change, was only £1 or so, hopefully he bought a coffee with it or something though I wouldn't be surprised if this 'no change' policy is just a way to make even more money on UPS's side. Global companies are the worst penny pinchers.

Anyway yeah my parcel arrived fine and safely so all was good there but damn UPS it's 2016 get your **** together and allow online payments.

They don't accept card at the door? I'm pretty sure I once seen even takeway people have those wireless card thingys on them when they came to the door one time.

Crappy delivery experiences do suck especially importing. Which is why I exclusively order from UP1 now for anything anime related.

Well that's because you already pay them at checkout. But agreed no extra administration costs for customs.

What's also terrible with UPS is that if you need to change the delivery address, you have to speak in your tracking number and in 90% of the cases the computer system recording it and speaking it back has it wrong. In my case 5 is always understood as 2 and no i don't have a speech disorder. Had that happen twice to me. So one would think, OK change it on the tracking page, well that also is a PITA as most of the times your change isn't recorded.

As Blaize mentioned, seems UPS still lives in the nineties :confused:

It's for a shipment of 14 items. The store normally ships via USPS and they get reshipped once they reach the UK so no import fees to deal with. This time however it's UPS.

Shipping normally takes 5-10 days via the usual method, I had despatch notification for this one yesterday.

£35 for next day delivery- not bad but in hindsight if I'd split the order it would have only cost me £3 extra instead.

Also reacted on your post in the other thread, but this would be a very very bad change from UP1USA. As far as i can remember it's the first time UP1USA used UPS to ship a package to me.

Normally they use the normal TaxiPost route (Belgian postal courier service) and the item usually arrives in two days, possibly because for box set i use special delivery.

But if they start using UPS from now on, that will mean they lose me as a customer, simple fact.

Will get into contact with UP1USA tomorrow when i finally receive my package.

What's your issue with UPS? UP1USA ships from the UK so there's no additional VAT or duty to be paid.

If it's an issue with UPS in general contacting UP1 to request a different delivery service would work in your case though, they generally amiable to customer requests

Last edited:
Then i must have misread your post as i thought it also was concerning an UP1USA package. Sorry for the confusion ... guess it's Monday for me ;)

If it was a single high cost item, then UP would use a courier to send it instead of regular postal services as my godoka figure came by courier when I was expecting it to come via parcel farce.

Back