Twilight Samurai

Martin

Death Scythe
This was on freeview a few months back but I couldn't stay up late enough to watch it...fortunately I picked up a copy from HMV at half price and it was worth every penny.

If you're a fan of high octane, overdone blood-soaked violence, look elsewhere: this is a restrained and thoughtful protrayal of samurai, or more specifically a low-ranking one who devotes his time to taking care of his family rather than fighting. When he does pick up his sword it is only reluctantly, which brings him into conflict with the quickly-vanishing culture of his time.

It was directed by Yoji Yamada, with Hiroyuki Sanada and Rie Miyazawa in the leads - their performances are outstanding, as is the gorgeous camerawork and the authenticity of the world they live in with all the social turmoil and political stuff in the background. I cannot recommend this film enough - it's a superlative piece of historical drama. :D

It's been a while since I sat down and watched this, but I have to agree, it truly is an outstanding film.

It's quite a subtle but ultimately powerful piece of cinema, and you've got to admire Yamada's nerve - I'm sure there aren't many directors out there who could make a samurai movie that contains practically no action scenes and still make it an absolutely riveting experience.

Back