The Slayers!

Miaka-chan

Stand User
I am contemplating buying new copies of The Slayers, The Slayers Next and The Slayers Try on DVD! and a thought came into my head, how many people here have seen The Slayers TV series (not the movies with Nagha!! :lol: ).

I absolutely love this series (esp. Zelgadis :wink: ) and I have even cosplayed as Filia Ul Copt - the nutty dragon priestess!!

It seems to be another series that is sorely over looked these days :(

So how many of you have seen The Slayers?

I've only seen the OVA's so maybe I'm not getting the complete picture, but I was somewhat underwhelmed by Slayers. Good fun but not something I'd go out of my way to watch. IMHO El Hazard and Dragon Half do the same thing better.

But don't let my cynicsm get in the way of your enthusiasm...it's clearly got a large fanbase so maybe I'm the odd one out :)

You're talking about the movies!
You only get Lina and Nagha that way and Naghas' laugh and boobs are enough to drive anyone slightly loopy :lol:

Only seen the OVA's and Movies here myself . So cant really comment on the carious TV series , while its fun in small doses over 30 mins of Nagha at once tends to want me to cello-tape her mouth shut.

The Slayers TV series DOES NOT contain Nagha :lol:
It's basically about Lina Inverse, meeting up with Gourry and fighting evil. Along the way she meets Amelia and Zelgadis.
There are loadsa nasty bad guys and girls! It's very funny but can also be very serious at times.

Ive got this whole seire somewhere but ive not had time to watch it yet. I will watch it next i think as its been siting on the stack for some time now.

I liked the various Slayers TV series, though I wouldn't say I loved them. As the price of the US boxed sets has recently (ish) gone down, they're now also quite cheap, which is certainly a bonus.

A nice fantasy comedy, and good fun. The first series didn't have a great start, but it picked up after that.

This is something I've been considering picking up, especially when you consider <a href="http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=31140" target="_blank">how insanely cheap</a> it is on DVDPacific. I saw about 8 episodes of the original series and thought it was quite good (and Megumi Hayashibara in the lead role makes it alot more lively). Maybe when I get paid this month....

I might pick up the TV series of myself , considering how cheap they are now . So hard to choose though with the amount of titles I have on my "to buy eventually" list.

There seems to be an awful lot of the "older" anime that's overlooked today.
A quick note, anyone who watches The Slayers (eventually) and enjoys it, look out for Maze as well. It's done by the same people and it's hilarious!

I reviewed a couple of Slayers OVAs for Paul, and didn't like one though the other was hilarious, enough for me to order another one from Sendit's new sale. So I'm very interested in Slayers TV, oh yes.
There were only 3 series, right? About 26 episodes each?

Capuchin said:
Only? But yes, there are three series: The Slayers, Slayers Next, and Slayers Try. Most people seem to think Next is the best one; I happen to agree.

Colin said:
Capuchin said:
Only? But yes, there are three series: The Slayers, Slayers Next, and Slayers Try. Most people seem to think Next is the best one; I happen to agree.

Try is my favourite! I prefer the bad guys in Try, plus Filia is so damned funny!! :D

Colin said:
Capuchin said:

Only as in I hope there's only three as that's nearly 80 episodes already!

There's 78 episodes in all, so no, there is no more - although I could quite happily have watched more Zelgadis :mrgreen:
I'm a big fan of long running anime series!

All three complete box-sets are under £30 everywhere I look . SO definately decided to buy these in the near future, cant resist a bargin :)

MangaMinX said:
All three complete box-sets are under £30 everywhere I look . SO definately decided to buy these in the near future, cant resist a bargin :)

You won't be disappointed I can assure you!
Be warned that half of the English dub VAs are the cast of Pokemon :lol: although they did The Slayers well before Pokemon! It's strange hearing Gourry sound like Brock :twisted:

Back