Tales from Earthsea opens in UK cinemas on 3rd August

Warmaster said:
Ark said:
Just saw it today and I have several problems with it.

1) There's no real plot structure. It's basically just a bunch of stuff happening.

2) The first half of the film was wasted due to slow pacing. This isn't really acceptable in a two hour film.

3) Fundemental aspects of the plot are never explained. The worst case being when one of the main characters changes into a dragon for no reason what so ever and with no comments on why/how this has happened from the other characters.

Seconded here. I checked on wikipedia, and the 3rd point (especially the example you mention) is clarified somewhat (from book info) but in this case you get the 'harry potter syndrome' (I.e. the films make no coherent sense without reading the books first)
That can be said for mostly all of anime films, can it not? Also series that are based on a video game.
If anything this film is suffering from, it's "My first job at being a director" syndrome. Even Goro's Dad had that problem once. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mohawk52 said:
If anything this film is suffering from, it's "My first job at being a director" syndrome. Even Goro's Dad had that problem once. :wink:

I don't know I enjoyed it much more than the older Miyazaki's two most recent films.

Mohawk52 said:
Warmaster said:
Ark said:
Just saw it today and I have several problems with it.

1) There's no real plot structure. It's basically just a bunch of stuff happening.

2) The first half of the film was wasted due to slow pacing. This isn't really acceptable in a two hour film.

3) Fundemental aspects of the plot are never explained. The worst case being when one of the main characters changes into a dragon for no reason what so ever and with no comments on why/how this has happened from the other characters.

Seconded here. I checked on wikipedia, and the 3rd point (especially the example you mention) is clarified somewhat (from book info) but in this case you get the 'harry potter syndrome' (I.e. the films make no coherent sense without reading the books first)
That can be said for mostly all of anime films, can it not? Also series that are based on a video game.

Yep. Future Boy Conan (and possibly lupin, but i haven't seen the series) suffered similarly at times. (Though conan's is slightly different - it is too simple in its devises, and repetitive in them a lot) Then again, when conan got good (first two episodes, the last five and a handful in the middle) it got EXTREMELY good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back