Supporting the anime industry

black1blade

Thousand Master
What percentage of the price of a anime dvd/blu-ray brought in the uk goes towards the original creators? I've heard before the only real way to support the industry significantly is to buy the imports which I would do if I had the money and they all had English subs.

Correct me if I'm wrong everyone, but most western releases are done by paying the Western company paying an advance, to the Japanese company. So a percentage doesn't go directly back to Japan per se.

Justin Sevakis had a good view on this in his Answerman column here at ANN(It's the last answer).

Basically, buy what you want to buy, whether it's Japanese imports or domestic releases. So sure, you make a more direct contribution by buying Japanese, but all support is good support for the industry. As long as you're happy with what you buy! :)

There is a lump sum paid when a Western company wants to release an anime but that might not be all that is paid depending on how well the show does. For a better picture of what happens with regards to striking a deal to release anime the following 3 part article on ANN is better,

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-06-11

Basically as long as you pay to watch anime through official means either by streaming (via sites like Funimation or Crunchyroll) or by buying dvds and blu-rays (buying Japanese releases means more money goes back to them but releases from the likes of Funimation or Anime Limited will also help) you are shouldn't worry about how much you are contributing.

Back