Suggestions for things to do in Edinburgh

Kite

Pokémon Master
I'm off to Edinburgh next weekend and have some time to kill (coming in around 2pm on the Saturday and due to leave around 1pm on the Sunday, so any suggestions what I can do around Edinburgh etc?

Any particular interesting shops stocking anime/manga to visit etc. Any interesting (free or cheap as chips) places to visit to have a look at a wonderful city etc

Have a pint with me :lol: Forbidden Planet on South Bridge is probably the best bet for manga (everything on 3 for 2, not just Viz stuff). They don't have any anime though. CeX and Fopp are almost right next to each other on Rose Street, and HMV and Waterstones are at the West End of Princes Street. There's also a shop called Anime Republic in Princes Mall by the station. They sell merchandise, and a bit of manga. They have a lot of bootleg stuff but some good stuff too.

As for free/cheap places to visit, it's not terribly expensive to climb the Scott Monument, but you do need a head for heights and not mind small dark places! You can walk all the way up to the castle, but it is about £15 to get in. Just walk up for the view and then come back down. If it's Sunny, the Camera Obscura is great fun (also on the Royal Mile)

I will try and think of more later!

BBC says cloudy but around 10C so not too bad.

Other places which are free are The Museum on the Mound, which is all about the history of money and currency (more interesting than it sounds)
The National Museum of Scotland, on Chambers Street is amazing. There's galleries devoted to everything, and they have a T-Rex skeleton. Free, but the mammoth exhibition costs.

There is a fair bit in edinburgh you can see, but i think a lot of it is very much weather dependent as well. Usually Edinburgh is the city of festivals, as there is always one running every month, but i can't honestly remember what it's meant to be for march. Most places have em, but the Botanic Gardens to the north of princes street is quite a nice place to just walk about.

Bar that, St_owly has probably covered the bulk of what to check out, and you may even get to see the trams being tested if that takes your fancy ;p I had no idea there was an "Anime Republic" though in the mall, i may take a gander when i get a chance.

Found some in debenhams in the end.

I'm a tight git who refuses to pay to use loos

Managed to get around to the shops suggested apart from forbidden planet which closes early on Saturday and doesn't open on Sunday. Tomorrow I will do some exploring

Back