Suggestions for British comedies

Thanks for all the recommendations!
I'll start with Red Dwarf, since I already have it, then from January I'll buy the others. I'm intrigued by The IT Crowd and Black Books, I really love Father Ted (I'm going to rewatch it again) so I hope they will be in the same league.

Teo

Yeah Black Books is really fun. Bill Bailey is great. I also forgot to mention Blackadder, which oddly enough, actually improves as you go through each series, which is pretty rare.

No Yes Minister/Prime Minister? For Shame. :< It's an amazing comedy and still broadly relevant. Watch Conflict of Interest about the City of London and you'd might think it was filmed recently!

As mentioned, things like I'm Alan Partridge, Thick Of It and Blackadder series 2-4. You might like Series 1, but it' so different in tone, setting and scope from the rest it may as well be a different program all together (It's not bad, it's just the Blackadder/Baldrick dynamic works no-where near as well.) My favorites are 3, 4, 2, 1

also if you're feeling festive, Blackadder Christmas Carol is a very clever twist on the norm. Usually comes with Blackadder sets.

I already have Blackadder, I watched it on TV some years ago and last year I bought the "ultimate edition remastered" boxset.
Since some series went on the actual deals on Amazon and I'm a cheap bastard, I placed an order last Tuesday which includes:
Black Books
Dad's Army - The Complete Collection
Only Fools and Horses Complete Series 1 - 7 Box Set
Porridge - The Complete Series Box Set
plus other stuff like Firefly on BD and 4400 (unfortunately they canceled "That 70's Show" from the order because it became unavailable, damn it).
Never heard about Yes Minister/Prime Minister, thanks for the suggestion, I've seen it costs £15 on Amazon, so I'll include it on my next order.

Teo

Finished watching Black Books. Some episodes were good, others were awesome, especially the one where they turn the store in a restaurant. There were some "familiar" faces here and there, but I wasn't able to recall where I saw most of them. For example in the first episode one of the customers is the butler from Celeb, who appeared also in Chef if I recall right.
Speaking of Celeb, I tried to look for a DVD edition but couldn't find one. Was it ever released on DVD? Thanks.

Teo

Back