Studio Ghibli/Hayao Miyazaki Feature in this month's Empire

Kaede

Adventurer
Just thought it might be worth a mention. Empire magazine has a Studio Ghibli feature this month spanning a fair few pages. I'll be picking this up at lunchtime today and reporting back.

http://www.empireonline.com/magazine/

Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli
Empire goes inside Studio Ghibli to meet the world’s greatest animation director. With unparalleled access to the legendary Hayao Miyazaki, we get a taste of the inspirations behind films such as Howl’s Moving Castle, Spirited Away and the upcoming Ponyo.

Regards

K

I seem to recall Empire doing a similar feature on Ghibli around the time 'Howls Moving Castle' was released, though I think it was only a page or two. May check it out, sounds interesting.

Movie critics continually love the man and his studio, so I'm not surprised that he receives more press over here. The same sort of treatment being given to another studio or director would be cause for my eyelids to bat.

I'd rather see a more in depth look at Satoshi Kon and Madhouse. I'm sure everybody already knows enough about Ghibli. I suppose that would be too much to ask though.

Sy said:
I'd rather see a more in depth look at Satoshi Kon and Madhouse. I'm sure everybody already knows enough about Ghibli. I suppose that would be too much to ask though.
When neither have made a movie that's being released in a couple of months? I'd love to sit in on the editorial meeting where it's decided to run with that feature.

He's making that new movie which is apparently out soon called The Dream Machine. Not much is really known about it so would have been more interesting to run a feature on that. I'm sure Kon would have something interesting to say about subjective reality.

Sy said:
I'm sure Kon would have something interesting to say about subjective reality.
I heard about the movie too... and you know, Kon is actually starting to sound like a broken record. Tokyo Godfathers excepted, everything has been 'subjective reality' and the 'mindf***' card gets Shyamalan-quaint sooner rather than later.

kupocake said:
Sy said:
I'm sure Kon would have something interesting to say about subjective reality.
I heard about the movie too... and you know, Kon is actually starting to sound like a broken record. Tokyo Godfathers excepted, everything has been 'subjective reality' and the 'mindf***' card gets Shyamalan-quaint sooner rather than later.
The reality bending images have been more a general theme in his movies than in Shyamalan's case where he seems to think that a twist at the end is all a movie needs to be good. In Kons works that theme has played to different strengths to enhance the story like psychosis and paranoia (Perfect Blue), an individuals memory depicted for another to see (Millennium Actress) and the incoherent but subliminal nature of dreams (Paprika). Each of his four features so far survive as completely individual pieces of work and while most may have that recurring theme of imagery they are all stylistically different and cover appropriate ground in creating their own unique atmosphere and tone.

Given the vast areas that these 'subjective realities' can cover I believe there is still a lot of mileage for Kon to play and experiment with ideas involving imagery.

Jayme said:
Sy said:
than in Shyamalan's case where he seems to think that a twist at the end is all a movie needs to be good.
It would have made The Happening better. My God, that was a terrible movie.
I avoided it after the quite awful 'The Village' and 'Lady in the Water'.

I think Miyazaki gets attention in the west because he's providing children's films which are still somewhat serious, in contrast to how most American animation is now. He's replacing Disney basically.

Read this at lunchtime today, it's not much in depth or anything, more just a couple of comments from Miyazaki on each of his films as director. It's still quite an interesting read though, he's certainly not afraid to criticise his own work.

Back