Square Enix <3 Nintendo

EasyKill

Completely Average High School Student
Is it just me or does it seem that more and more Square Enix games are appering on nintendo (just like the good old days of the snes). I'm taking mainly about Final Fantasy.

In the next year or so we will see:
-Final Fantasy III (DS)
-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates (DS)
-Final Fantasy V (GBA)
-Final Fantasy VI (GBA)
-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers (Wii)
and (here the one i am excited about):
-Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (DS) :p

This seem like alot of final fantasy when you consider that Sony only has FFXII, FFXIII and FFVII Crisis Core in the pipeline. Not only that but Square Enix also have a Dragon Quest game for the Wii and DS, and a remake of Xenogears for the DS.

What do you think, could this be down to the increasing cost of developing games on the big console (PS3, 360). Or could it just be due to the success of the DS in japan and will other studios follow suit.

For more info on Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXnr07-jUPw
http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/732/732509p1.html
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/ff12rw/

I think the question here is more "HOW MUCH IS SQUARE ENIX MILKING FINAL FANTASY? FFS!"

I gave the first spin-off titles a shot, and they weren't bad. But there are plenty duds in there, and I'm sad to say finding out about a new FF game doesn't hold the same excitement for me as it used to, partly because they're practically announcing a new game every month. I can't believe they've begun to milk FFXII even before it's been released in the US. And the whole "compilation of VII" thing is getting ridiculous. FFVII is one of my favourite games, and I'm refusing to play any of the spin-offs for fear of it ruining the memories.

The only game in that list I'm looking forward to is FFIII. And that's only because of raving reviews from Japan.

I'm sick of seeing random RPG-sounding words tagged at the end of all the recent Final Fantasies, and wish that they would just get back to making games with nothing but roman numerals after the words "Final Fantasy". It's a real shame.

I'd never thought I'd bitch about the current state of RPG franchise X, but here I am.

Oh, and where did you hear about this Xenogears remake? Are you meaning the Xenosaga one? In that case, it isn't a Square Enix game.

Its good to see that FF is returning more to nintendo. I don't really see the problem with the fact that FF has gone on for so long and the fact that they have finally started releasing sequels for some of their more popular titles. Some of the sequels are good, i don't really see what people hate about some of them. Crisis Core looks interesting and last i checked, they don't have to have a game released in the US before they start making sequels for them.
FFIII is one of the more interesting ones that has been announces for the DS, its finally got its release outside of japan but in a 3D form. i saw about revenant wings a bit ago, but i have yet to see the video..i may look at it later on

Sometimes I hate my PSP never any good game releases like these. I want FF games on my PSP, I am sooooooo tempted to just go get a DS but I'd rather keep my PSP for GTA games

Arbalest said:
last i checked, they don't have to have a game released in the US before they start making sequels for them.

I wasn't saying it was TEH LAW, I was just saying they're getting even faster at milking the FF cow than before.

And announcing that FFXIII will have at least two spin off titles as soon as FFXIII itself is announced is another new record.

Only Final Fantasy III has me excited at all. Not only is it a gap in the FF series long waiting to be filled, but it puts me in mind of the Playstation FFs which can only be good. I'd like to see them do a proper remake like this of the SNES FFs as well.

Shame that with all this FF milking, there isn't a single Tactics game lined up. Advance was a bit lame and repeatative, but the original was solid gold.

I'll just be pverly happy when XII finally makes it out over here onto my PS2, that will be a week my girlfriend will not be seeing me, I will be locked away in my spare room with a couple bottles of coke, snacks, a blanket and my PS2 ahhhhhhhh heaven

Well acording to Square Enix they're trying to be even with all their releases. Obiviously Square Enix's Employes don't know how to count very well. 3 on the DS and 1 on the PSP how is that even? Not to mention the PSP's aint even a RPG.

GrantM said:
Rukario said:
PSP sucks for good games in general. 8D

But most PSP games are superior to DS games in terms of graphics

Thats true its just that we PSP users don't seem to get many new releases worth buying here in the UK, I would love Bleach (due out early 2007 finally), Initial D, I would love to get my hands on a copy of Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (US have it so will have to import a copy). Although we do get the GTA games, bring on Vice City 03/11/06

Rukario said:
DS games have better gameplay and more interaction, graphics don't mean crap if you're churning up ports from PS2 to PSP.

That's not Sony's or the PSP's fault that Developers are lazzy asses for the PSP. As Sony releases like LocoRoco,Daxter etc. are quiet original and people who say the PSP's Game Library are crap are the people who've never looked for a Good PSP Game, instead they buy the Budget Titles and then call the PSP "Crappy Game Library" on their opinon of Budget Games from a Developer no one has heard of.

Gameplay, Play LocoRoco and we'll see Gameplay and with the PSP EyeToy we'll see which one has more Interaction.

I own both a DS lite and a PSP(Not lieing here) I've played Mario Games, those are regertations, I'll admit Socom, and other Sport's PSP Games are the same. However Platformers like Daxter are new and Original. And dare I say it LocoRoco is the most Addictive Game I've ever played, and my favorite Hand-Held Game.

Primus said:
Rukario said:
DS games have better gameplay and more interaction, graphics don't mean crap if you're churning up ports from PS2 to PSP.

That's not Sony's or the PSP's fault that Developers are lazzy asses for the PSP. As Sony releases like LocoRoco,Daxter etc. are quiet original and people who say the PSP's Game Library are crap are the people who've never looked for a Good PSP Game, instead they buy the Budget Titles and then call the PSP "Crappy Game Library" on their opinon of Budget Games from a Developer no one has heard of.

Gameplay, Play LocoRoco and we'll see Gameplay and with the PSP EyeToy we'll see which one has more Interaction.

I own both a DS lite and a PSP(Not lieing here) I've played Mario Games, those are regertations, I'll admit Socom, and other Sport's PSP Games are the same. However Platformers like Daxter are new and Original. And dare I say it LocoRoco is the most Addictive Game I've ever played, and my favorite Hand-Held Game.

How can you say that Mario is regurgitation and Daxter is original!?

LocoRoco is a gimick done well, like Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, (the upcoming) Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Wario Ware, Meteos, Ouendan, Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center, Brain Training, ect. Get the point?

EyeToy for PSP will have almost identical games to the PS2, and won't work very well as the camera is far too close to you, the distance between you and the camera is constantly changing and you're already using your arms to hold the darn thing - what are you going to do? Point it at you feet?

Nuff said.

I actually don't see how the eyetoy will work AT ALL when you're using your arms to hold it. All you will have to move will be your head!

brynthaboss said:
when did this topic turn into the ds vs. psp. i thought it wa about square-enix and nintendo

Have ever noticed that not many topics here end the same way they start out vive la revolution

Back