Spaced to be remade for US tv

LukasROAR

Straw Hat Pirate
Yes you read it right, damn right blashpemous and i dread to think what will happen if the rumours of McG producing it and some guy out of Will and Grace writing it are true.
:( proper gutted, spaced is a true classic.
and there will be no one from the English writing or acting cast working on it, infact they only just found out themselves.

Taken from IGN.com

The British cult hit Spaced could get an American remake, according to both Variety and the Hollywood Reporter. The series has gained interest and popularity through the years, as several key participants -- Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost -- went on to success with the films Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

Spaced is in development at FOX with executive producers McG and Robert Green attached, along with Adam Burr (The New Adventures of Old Christine, Desperate Housewives, Will and Grace), who will write the pilot. The original series ran from 1999 - 2001 and starred Pegg and Jessica Stevenson, who wrote the episodes together, as roommates and Frost as their military obsessed friend. Wright directed every episode. The show was known for its frequent and elaborate pop culture jokes and references, as it centered around a particularly geeky group - Pegg's character worked at a comic book store.

What's bound to get fans up Wright and Pegg upset (this writer included) is that Wright has posted on his MySpace page that "no-one has been in touch with me at all" regarding the remake. He adds that "Simon [Pegg] was never contacted either. I don't really want to get involved at all, but it infuriates me that they would a) never bother to get in touch but still b) splash me and Simon's names all over the trade announcements and infer that we're involved in the same way Ricky [Gervais] & Steve [Merchant] were with The Office [remake]."

Arghhhhh how cheeky are those yanks lol

I heard about this, and i just know its going to flop big time. Which is what it deserves really, the orignal series was one of the best comedy shows to come out of here in a long time, and watching the DVDs with the homage meter is classic. Just because they turned the office into a smash over there dosen't mean everything will, look at what happened to the Red Dwarf amercian pilot they produced.

Once again the US take something brilliant and decide to make is more simple for Cleatus and Urlene to be able to understand while they eat there tv dinners in there little trailer park

Why?!, :S I don't think there will be that much of a chance of this even getting past a non aired pilot episode in America. Lets just hope thats how far it goes, Or one better, It gets stuck in development hell.

It's such an uk programme though, with uk humour and uk undertones. There's no chance they'll be able to translate Spaced into American lingo. It will end up being something completely different. Your correct BlackWolf, they destroyed Red Dwarf and they also did the same to Men Behaving Badly!! We all know it isn't going to work.
To tell you the truth, we shouldn't really care about stuff like this. We know it won't take off and we'll probably get a few laughs when we see th state of the pilot. It's a joke!!!
:lol:
::Roles on the ground hysterically untill his hernia gives out::

Voddas said:
Your correct BlackWolf, they destroyed Red Dwarf and they also did the same to Men Behaving Badly!!

I never knew that they tried to remake Men Behaving Badly :eek: The only other one i know they tried to do was Eastenders (would you believe it?) I prefer it when americans only get inspired by out programmes so they can go out there and come up with something good.

EASTENDERS!!! :eek:

Your having a laugh!! :lol:

I didn't know that either. Well I don't know how that would work seeing as though they could just watch our Eastenders? It's like us watching Neighbours or Home and Away. If they made it themselves wouldn't it become RedKneckers?

I was on the floor laughing when i first found out :p If i remember correctly it was going to be set in the east side of Chicago. The general premise was the same, i guess they just wanted it more americanised. Let's face it though it will probably featured less crime then our version :lol:

Well... IMO I think it's all just crazy but I suppose theres no harm in them doing it. They can mess around as much as they want with Spaced because it won't be THE Spaced we all love. End of the day we'll have the kick ass original (far superior) Spaced.
Have a go if you think your good enough I say! 8)

BlackWolf said:
Just because they turned the office into a smash over there dosen't mean everything will, look at what happened to the Red Dwarf amercian pilot they produced.
That particular trend for Statesiding British comedies is quite old though. It has been what, over 15 years since the Red Dwarf USA pilot was made? Also strange to say 'just look at what happened with Red Dwarf', since, well. Who here has actually seen the pilots and not just heard about them fourth hand via a Radio Times column originally advised by the grieving mother of a Red Dwarf fan who leaped from a giant H-Shaped Monument when he saw a dodgy VHS copy at a convention 10 years ago. And by that I mean, have you seen the Youtube video? :p

You know, I don't actually think Red Dwarf USA is that bad. It's essentially the English pilot with different actors and some new Jokes (some of them are actually good if you give them a chance), and you know... most of them are actually good and fit the parts quite well. The guy they've got playing the Cat is brilliant, their Female Holly was better than ours (though she was underused anyway) and Kryten was... well, the same guy. Rimmer is a strange one... he's completely different, but wouldn't an American Chris Barrie just be kind of rubbish? Only Lister was misjudged. Not because he's a bad actor (he's actually kind of funny), he's just completely wrong for the part the script calls for. If they were going to make a Red Dwarf where Lister wasn't a Bum, he could have played it... but when he says stuff like 'I'm pathetic', you can't really believe it. Oh and Kochanski is a total bitch.

The real problem with USA remakes is... why bother with them? The original shows should have their own value to American audiences... they just don't.

Oh well. They can't be all bad though, I mean, where would civilisation be without the theme to Sanford and Son?

As for Spaced USA. I anticipate Suckage there, but what really sucks is that if it gets commissioned for a single Stateside series, it will be longer than the original UK version of Spaced, which was never really completed.

kupoartist said:
BlackWolf said:
Just because they turned the office into a smash over there dosen't mean everything will, look at what happened to the Red Dwarf amercian pilot they produced.
That particular trend for Statesiding British comedies is quite old though. It has been what, over 15 years since the Red Dwarf USA pilot was made? Also strange to say 'just look at what happened with Red Dwarf', since, well. Who here has actually seen the pilots and not just heard about them fourth hand via a Radio Times column originally advised by the grieving mother of a Red Dwarf fan who leaped from a giant H-Shaped Monument when he saw a dodgy VHS copy at a convention 10 years ago. And by that I mean, have you seen the Youtube video? :p

Actually i had never heard of that coulumn till you just mentioned it :p I first heard about the pilot from the season 4 dvds, the documentary in particular. I do get what you saying though, though i meant the fact that they had tried to adapt it (though for the record i wasn't that happy with some of the casting choices but that's just me).

What got me was the fact that they were trying to adapt it in the first place, when they should of just stuck to airing the british version of there. Though i wouldn't mind seeing an amercian take at a sci-fi comedy, last one i can think of that they did was Mystery Science Theatre 2000 and that was hit and miss in places.

Out of curiosity, how long is an average amercian season on tv?

BlackWolf said:
Was just passing by :) The average American tv series is 22-24 Episodes in one season. Here in the uk we usually go for a shorter 12 episodes.

Voddas said:
BlackWolf said:
Was just passing by :) The average American tv series is 22-24 Episodes in one season. Here in the uk we usually go for a shorter 12 episodes.
UK Comedy series tend to be around 6-7 episodes for a season.
BlackWolf said:
Though i wouldn't mind seeing an amercian take at a sci-fi comedy, last one i can think of that they did was Mystery Science Theatre 2000 and that was hit and miss in places.
Surely the most obvious (and arguably, the best) one is Futurama? Aside from that, plenty of other American Animated shows do Sci-Fi comedy skits. Live action wise, I'm short of ideas, save for Galaxy Quest and Spaceballs.

kupoartist said:
Surely the most obvious (and arguably, the best) one is Futurama? Aside from that, plenty of other American Animated shows do Sci-Fi comedy skits. Live action wise, I'm short of ideas, save for Galaxy Quest and Spaceballs.

I can't believe i forgot futurama :oops: Though i was thinking more live action series. Though spaceballs is the king of the scifi comedy movies. Though speaking of Spaceballs i heard they were doing an animated show based on it

Back