So is monogatari any good?

devilrules666

Combat Butler
Hi! I have been wondering about getting the monogatari series for about 2 years but I have been told that it isn't worth the time. You guys haven't been wrong in the past with your opinions.?(well expect death note but we will forget that yeah)?

Is it worth it? Also is Log Horizon, Watanote, Muv altervative something, Blast of Tempest, Tokyo Ravens, Windy Tales, Flowers of Evil, Gatchaman Crowds, Sunday Without God, One Week Friends, Pet Girl of Sakurasou, Blazblue Atelier Memory worth it?

Thanks guys as usual!

devilrules666 said:
Hi! I have been wondering about getting the monogatari series for about 2 years but I have been told that it isn't worth the time. You guys haven't been wrong in the past with your opinions.?(well expect death note but we will forget that yeah)?

Is it worth it? Also is Log Horizon, Watanote, Muv altervative something, Blast of Tempest, Tokyo Ravens, Windy Tales, Flowers of Evil, Gatchaman Crowds, Sunday Without God, One Week Friends, Pet Girl of Sakurasou, Blazblue Atelier Memory worth it?

Thanks guys as usual!
Yes to Monogatari, CROWDS, One Week Friends, Sakurasou and Watamote. I personally got a bit bored of Log Horizon when it was airing, but a binge watch of it on BD might change my mind. Flowers of Evil is meant to be pretty good if you can get past the rotoscoped animation.
The only definite no on that list is Blazblue Alter Memory. If you've played the games (and have any idea whatsoever as to what's going on) then you might get a kick out of it - but even as one of those people I thought it was terrible outside of the OP theme.

100,000 Japanese people can't be wrong, right? Wrong. But in this case, they were right.

Bakemonogatari is exceptional. As for the later parts of the series, ymmv.

I'd stream the first few episodes of Bakemonogatari first, see if its your cup of tea. Where I agree that its exceptional, it's not for everyone.

Monogatari is incredible - I'd probably rank it in my top 10 favourite anime ever. But yeah, it's not for everyone, and you definitely need to be OK with reading a lot of subtitles. But yeah, probably one of the most visually striking things you'll ever see.

Watamote is well worth picking up too - it's very funny, and also a very good look at being an Otaku/shy and trying to come to terms with that.

I can't handle all SHAFT shows and I also haven't got on with the two nisiOisin books I have, but I did enjoy MOnogatari.
You can check out Bakemonogatari on Viewster, Nisemonogatari on Viewster or Crunchyroll and Monogatari Second Season on Crunchyroll.
Oh, and I still haven't watched Tsukimonogatari on Daisuki. I assumed it would get to Crunchyroll eventually but..

Shiroi Hane said:
I can't handle all SHAFT shows and I also haven't got on with the two nisiOisin books I have, but I did enjoy MOnogatari.
You can check out Bakemonogatari on Viewster, Nisemonogatari on Viewster or Crunchyroll and Monogatari Second Season on Crunchyroll.
Oh, and I still haven't watched Tsukimonogatari on Daisuki. I assumed it would get to Crunchyroll eventually but..

Really enjoyed the Monogatari series, can suffer from throwing walls of text at times in the subtitles due to the amount of voice work though.

Also see Tsukimonogatari and Nekomonogatari Black were added to CR yesterday, Neko Black isn't available in the UK or Ireland though.

Back