Snow White with the Red Hair Volume 2 Review

Demelza

Adventuring Alchemist
AUKN Staff
Overall the second volume of Snow White with the Red Hair shifts the focus away from romance and onto the growing cast of characters. This move delivers some excellent character development which will no doubt increase our enjoyment of the series going forward.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Germany is already up at volume 17. (And stuck at a 2 years and 3 month wait for volume 18 since October 2017, ugh.)
I suppose it's not really much of a spoiler now to say that this becomes is far less (just) a romance story than a pretty neat character-based Slice of Life story. (And the numbers of named character increased quite a bit, too.) In a way it reminds me a lot of Aria by now. Especially in a certain event in the show it certainly had quite the Mono no Aware moments both in atmosphere and visuals. And somehow everyone is a goodhearted nice person in some way or another. (Which makes some of the bigger drama-conflict moments feel strange.)

@Luna I'm not surprised to hear that, as the anime adaption was already starting to show signs of the series growing into more of a character drama rather than just a romance series. I quite like the idea of it going that way eventually as it sets it apart from your average shojo (especially those in English!) and gives it more flexibility to tell different kinds of stories.

I'd say it's not even that that sets it apart from regular shoujo. There isn't all that drama in the sense of drama between the characters. The main romance is still as much cheese as it can get, but because it's so sliced up in small amounts seasoned over other parts that makes it kinda sweet to be there. What stands out to me is more the variety of the other parts. There is worklife (how many shoujo have that), study sessions (not high school but actually more academic-ish) being apart due to work (long distance relationship!), traditions, passive social pressure, politics, gossip mentality and.... a bulkload of respect between the characters. Somehow everyone is respecting most people in some way. (What chiefly makes it so Aria-like to me.) Though it does come to me strangely unrealistic at points. A lot of topics are quite in detail and down to earth, but the sheer lack of unreasonable disdain people can have strikes down as odd to me.

(It's just too bad the emmigration topic is a bit drowned by the beginning that still has more vibes of a fairy tale than anything else. It's still present later on, but she's already so well integrated by then with massive support at her back, that it doesn't cause too many complications she'd have to overcome.)

Back