Six Nations 2009

Arbalest

黒い剣士
Right, since today is the start of the Six Nations i thought i'd make a topic for it. So first off, anyone else looking forward to this?

To me, its probably the only time i tend to actually watch any sport, mainly because this always has a good few surprises, and its certainly more entertaining than most other sports nowadays. So, basically, is there any fixtures you are looking forward to most of all, and who do you expect will win?
I'd, as expected, really hope for Scotland to win, but i still don't see that happening at present, but i can at least see us doing better than last year. I would expect Ireland or Wales to take it this year. Scotland vs England should be a good match as always, just a shame its done south this year, i'd have loved to go watch it.

England were terrible today. Same problems that they've had for a while now, lack of discipline, lack of quick ball at the breakdown and lack of dominance on their own set plays. Scotland will probably be the only other team we beat. ;)

England were indeed, its just a shame that Italy where more so, otherwise they could have won it, which i'd have preferred :p . Scotland will keep the Culcutta Cup this year too, even if we are playing you at your home turf :wink:

Ireland and France certainly both played well overall. France more-so in the first half and Ireland ditto but in the second half. I don't see us winning against Wales tomorrow, but i'm looking forward to the match all the same. Hah, i could've been there though as well, which is annoying, but i'll try to get to another match instead, if i can.

Yeah, I've been to a couple of Five/Six Nations games before, not going to one this year though. I think International rugby's one of the best sports to go and see live, the crowds, stadia and atmosphere are just superb.

Went to the local "rugby pub" to watch the two games yesterday. England are gonna get slaughtered by the others if they keep playing the way they did. I may become an Irish fan for this tournament, lol.

Was really impressed by England today. Much improved with ball in hand, but still plagued by the penalty disease that they've picked up over the last few months/years.

Fair play to Wales, they were more consistent in attack and took their chances, but the ref gave England *nothing*.

Scotland played much better than they did last week i have to say, unfortunately they just made too many errors here and there and that basically cost them the match. We could have easily gotten another try and took the score to 19-20(to us) if we just made a few less errors.

I didn't get the chance to watch the wales vs england game, but wales won, so i'm happy :p

ilmaestro said:
Haha, I'm going to remember that when we eventually play you! :p

Hah, we'll retain the Culcutta cup for sure =p And even still, so long as Wales(or Ireland) wins this year, i'll be happy.

skikes said:
yeh totally cant wait for this! i get so excited every year waiting for this... its rugby right?

Aye its the rugby. I see Ireland beat Italy, it was to be expected, but still. I did hear it was a fairly brutal match in the first 40-50 minutes, but i can't be sure as i never got the chance to watch it.

people said:
Go England / Scotland / Ireland / Wales!
Damn sectarians. This is why Devolution was a bad idea. :p

As someone with English, Scottish and Irish ancestry I always find these rivalries amusing. Supporting all four sectors of the UK = 4x the chance of victory! Have seen a couple of matches due to boredom. I don't usually follow it but I admit rugby's a decent sport to watch compared to some (like bloody cricket. Pull the goddamn plug on my life support machine already).

Thought Italy played pretty well today against Wales. To hold a lead against them for the better part of the match is pretty impressive if you ask me. We(Scotland) did well against Ireland at least for the first half of the match, shame we never played at the same level as we did in the second half. We could have got a try i'm sure if only we where a tad more confident in our gameplay. But ah well, at least it there is some positives to take from it, we just need to bear England next week, hopefully.

Back