Senpai, This Can’t Be Love! Review

Sarah

Staff
AUKN Staff
CG designer Yanase can’t fault diligent new employee Kaneda on the work front – but why is the young man so cold toward him? Does he hate him? Or… surely it couldn’t be quite the opposite… could it?

Continue reading...

Last edited:
I also hope YP bring over the sequel for this. While I wasn't as interested in the romance (not that I disliked it, but it felt like it was in the background quite a lot), I did enjoy the CG designer setting and Yanase as a character. It dealt with his struggles with burnout well, I think.

I did just google the drama after seeing it mentioned here, but the reviews are not particularly positive as it seems they changed or added several developments that viewers did not enjoy. So I guess I should just skip that... (It is on Viki if anyone else was wondering). 😅

Interesting re. the response to the TV drama, kind-of confirming (again) my feeling that not all manga makes a successful transition when adapted to live action drama (as opposed to light novels/novels). Manga is so image-specific with its own rhythms of story-telling that it needs reinventing and what made it special often gets lost, whereas a novel doesn't have that extra visual element (except in the mind of the reader!). Anime seems a much more natural way to convey a manga (but is much more expensive and time-consuming to make).

Interesting re. the response to the TV drama, kind-of confirming (again) my feeling that not all manga makes a successful transition when adapted to live action drama (as opposed to light novels/novels). Manga is so image-specific with its own rhythms of story-telling that it needs reinventing and what made it special often gets lost, whereas a novel doesn't have that extra visual element (except in the mind of the reader!). Anime seems a much more natural way to convey a manga (but is much more expensive and time-consuming to make).
Completely agree! I also think it doesn’t help when they choose to adapt a single or two volume series and spread that out into 8 episodes because then you really are having to change or add quite a bit to hit the runtime. And inevitably unless the original creator is involved that doesn’t always end up being good…

Back