Saved a baby bird from my cat, what do I do now?

Raz23

Brigade Leader
Well I was just in my backroom when I heard all this frantic tweeting from outside, I knew my cat had a bird so I chased after him and stopped him on the lawn.

He put up one hell of a fight butI managed to shake the little bird from his mouth and it managed to hide itself behind a plant pot before my cat escaped my grip.

I scared my cat off and went and got some gloves and a box that had arrived handily from play-asia.com to put the bird in, so now I have a tiny tiny little baby bird in a box that's probably fallen out of it's nest and I don't know what to do next.

Help

Cook it. I hear little birds are quite delicious. Incidentally, I found a dead bird in my back garden a few days ago, and proceeded to poke its eyes out and have a look at its organs. Interesting stuff.

On a serious note, would be best to take it to a vet. Or let the cat finish it off.. it's probably going to die anyway.

Even though i love birds i agree with what dan says, it's best to put it out of it's misery, even if it could be set free, without it's mum it's very little chance of living

Not trying to sound sick here, but isn't it contradictory to have a cat and worry about birds if birds are the prey of the cat? It's natural.

As for what to do, I'm no expert myself. I would probably cover it in cloth or cotton wool (allow it to breathe), and then call vet. But otherwise, it's probably asking for euthanasia.
Would you like to suffer if you knew were dead?

Turns out it's a wren so it was just tiny because that's how big wrens are, smallest birds in Britain or something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wren

Anyway, I was stupid enough to let my parents open the box while it was still in my garage and it's now hidden behind the boiler where no one can get to it. It can still fly and seems to be in good health, not missing any parts and not bleeding so I got to it before my cat could do anything to bad and if I can get it out from my garage it should be fine.

Raz23 said:
Anyway, I was stupid enough to let my parents open the box while it was still in my garage and it's now hidden behind the boiler where no one can get to it.

Ohhh, slow roast, yum!

Don't forget the marinade.

I saved a bird once, I phoned the RSPCA and they came and collected it. Or maybe it was the RSPB, I don't know, but that's what I'd do.

Espy said:
I saved a bird once, I phoned the RSPCA and they came and collected it. Or maybe it was the RSPB, I don't know, but that's what I'd do.
Yep, same here. They actually have the time, training and equipment to take care of wounded animals at their centres.

Not to sound like an asshole here, but you should have just left your cat to pursue it's insticts, and put the bird out of it's misery.

Mmmmm, tasty birds.

Well he's free now, off with his little friends, turns out it wasn't a baby bird but a wren and when I opened the box I'd put it in, it just flew off like it was completely un-harmed so I guess I got to it before my cats mouth could do any real damage.

Anyway thanks for all your "EAT HIM!" suggestions you were really helpful and a real thank you to the few people who actually have sympathy for life.

Raz23 said:
Well he's free now, off with his little friends, turns out it wasn't a baby bird but a wren and when I opened the box I'd put it in, it just flew off like it was completely un-harmed so I guess I got to it before my cats mouth could do any real damage.

Anyway thanks for all your "EAT HIM!" suggestions you were really helpful and a real thank you to the few people who actually have sympathy for life.

I have sympathy for life which matters.

Hyaku said:
Raz23 said:

I have sympathy for life which matters.

I hope you are an ill-fated slug in your next life =P

Back