Sanctuary

Yuvie

Student Council President
I've noticed this fairly short manga series and it looks quite interesting from the description.

Has anyone read this series? Is it worth reading? How do you rate it?

From the description, it looks like it has the makings of a great manga.

From what I've seen on MAL, it's the Legend of the Galactic Heroes of the manga world, and by that I mean it probably has an excellent story but can be boring as hell.

I can't say it's interested me very much. Straight up gangster stories aren't really my cup of tea, and I can always re-watch The Godfather or Gungrave if I feel inclined to watch people kill whilst wearing suits.

It might tempt me more if it wasn't OOP. I saw an auction on eBay recently... starting at £90+. I get the feeling buying it isn't a realistic option...

Ah, I looked into it a little more. It does seem like another hard to get hold of manga.

Yeah, it does sound very similar to Gungrave, which I enjoyed a lot for a gangster anime, but with a bit of a twist.

Yuvie, I've read Sanctuary. It's art is superb on the realistic side, the story is very realistic and basically follows two childhood friends who are trying to make Japan their "Sanctuary", each of them, by different means. One starts a career in politics and the other as an yakuza.

It has a little similarities to Gungrave, with the 2 friends thing, except that both of them are intelligent and into action, when necessary.

If you like realistic manga and are interested in yakuza stories, then it is a title you should give a chance.

I find the yakuza interesting for a start, so yeah, it sounds like my kind of thing and I like the idea of the story and where it might or could end up.

The only problem is that the volumes are so expensive and about the cheapest place I can see to get them is from the US.

Picked up the set at the bring and buy last year at Ayacon, but only just now started to read it. It's not bad at all imo, although some people might say it's a bit naff and too old fashioned.

I find it quite similar to Crying Freeman, which has the same artist but different writer, just with less boobs and a better storyline. (I like both series, mind) Freeman's also shorter and currently in print so might be worth considering if you don't mind a bit of OTT yakuza action.

I have the vhs set of the Crying Freeman anime and it also comes with the first volume of the manga. I haven't seen the anime in a long ol' time but my partner and I seemed to enjoy it.

Sanctuary looks like a good manga but it's just way too expensive to consider atm. I never realised how pricey the volumes were.

Back