RSS news feed?

RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication. You need a piece of software called an Aggregator to read it properly; there are several free programs online that will do the job, and the latest version of Firefox has an aggregator built in as fas as I recall (if not, there's definitely a plug-in for it).

I use an online aggregator called BlogLines, which has a downloadable application that will notify you when any of the RSS feeds you're watching are updated.

Basically, RSS feeds are a way to keep tabs on updates to a website without having to check the website every couple of minutes. Which is handy if you're watching a lot of sites.

aniki sumed it up. Tabbed browsing and RSS feeds are my favourite "Internet innovations" of the last few years.

Basically, if you download an RSS reader and input the Anime UK News RSS feed, our news can be sent straight to your Windows desktop. I use a program called "RSS Reader", it's kind of like Outlook Express and have set it to check the feeds for new headlines every 30 minutes.

I'm suscribed to over 25 different news feeds at the moment; from Anime News Network to DVD Times to BBC Sport. It's a fantastic little tool.

Out of interest, I'd be interested to know who else here is using RSS news feeds?

cheers. now that i have a rough idea as to what it is, i'll probably have a look into getting firefox to download it.

Paul said:
Out of interest, I'd be interested to know who else here is using RSS news feeds?
Sorry for the late reply! I do, and I have to admit, RSS feeds have streamlined my internet experience so much that I've all but abandoned checking websites that don't bother with an RSS feed. I have about 33 feeds covering News, Gaming News, DVD News, Anime News, Webcomics/Web Humour and a few friend's blogs. I use the Sage plugin for Firefox, though I do have the RSS support for Thunderbird setup... I just never use it.

Back