Royal Mail Rant!

devilrules666

Combat Butler
Ok so I wasn't too sure where to put this so I put here in the random chit chat thread. I have always imported my anime from axelmusic so when they went bankrupt not too long ago a few months ago I decided to use amazon for my R1 needs. So needless to say I was very surpised to see that the royal mail decided to charge me 40 more pounds on top of what I had already paid for the dvds. Cheeky fuckers. I am angry that this is allowed to happen. This never happened with axelmusic or anywhere else.

I am now buying my R1 dvds from UP1 from here now on. I think that the royal mail needs to have a look at itself and sort it's self out.

Anyway what about you guys? Have any horror stories you want to share?

I have yet to be "stung" by using R1 sellers on Amazon UK. I know not why I have enjoyed such dispensation, though it perhaps owes to the sparse nature by which I purchase things from shores afar.

devilrules666 said:
I am now buying my R1 dvds from UP1 from here now on. I think that the royal mail needs to have a look at itself and sort it's self out.
Well, annoying though it might seem what they're actually doing is obeying the law. The RM handling charge is a joke, I'll give you that - but that's only £8/£11. the other £30 of what you've paid there will be import duty levied by HMRC at a rate of 20% on anything over the value of £15. It's basically the VAT you would have paid if you had bought the goods in the UK, and there's no avoiding that except through sheer luck that your parcel doesn't get caught in the net.

Axel factored these charges into their prices and shipped things to the UK first, then on to individual customers. Sadly I don't know of anyone else who operates a similar scheme, so UP1 are probably your best bet from now on.

The worst case for me was getting stung for a shipment that cost around £15.60. Just 60p over and I had to pay just over £11 in tax and RM handling fees. :evil: Still p***ed off about it.

It never happened with PlanetAxel because they deliberately went around customs. They would send items internally from America/Canada to within the European Union before sending them out to the UK. Any item that is sent from outside the EU that has a value of more than £15 risks being hit - and it's not the VAT that's so bad a lot of the time, it's the handling fees.

As for me, although not Royal Mail, UPS lost their place on my Christmas card list for my White 2 - demanding a £21.80 charge (£11.80 of that was their brokerage fee; £10 was the VAT) on the door...and needing EXACT change. I had £30, they said they didn't have change. I offered them the full £30, they couldn't take it. So I had to wait until the following Monday.

With Royal Mail though, I once got a £10 charge for something that was only slightly over, like mangaman74. Even the guy at the depot said it was ridiculous. The biggest charge my family has had though is £60 - and that was how we learned about customs.

When I do order from outside the UK and the value is over the limit, I set money aside for customs. I was pleasantly surprised when Oreimo arrived from Right Stuf without a charge, but I had set around £20 aside just in case. I will be doing the same with Shakugan no Shana II - I always roughly guess how much it will be, set it aside and take it into account when managing my money.

I get most of my R1 releases from UP1 anyway; the only reason I'm getting Shana II from Right Stuf instead is because they advertised a free gift with purchase.

Well i've been stung £20 before for my TTGL mech, which was under the threshold ¬___¬ but i guess the postal services love to wreck peoples funding ideas!

Ps. Saw a policeman in a van this morning..... texting at the wheel.
One rule for one another for others isn't it?

The only departments that are legally allowed to run a red light are actually the royal mail as they carry the royal coat of arms. Funny how police can run lights too, though not strictly legally.....

Name any way humanly possible for a service to let you down and I guarantee the Royal Mail have done it to someone, maybe even indulged in a few INhuman ways as well.
Me I just hate them because they're slow, plain and simple. They make one delivery a goddamn day, which wouldn't be so bad if it was early morning so you could get it before work, nope, these lazy gits come anywhere between 12 and 3, the least convenient of times, if it's a huge package that won't fit through the letterbox you're stuffed. Round our area you'll be lucky if it even gets to your house, multiple times we've been waiting on a letter for days, just to find the Royal Mail decided to be dickbags and post it in one of the other houses in our cul-de-sac where the owners were 'conveniently' on holiday, what are they incapable of reading house numbers now?

...Also I can pay for express delivery and still not have my videogames arrive in time for my birthday. Slackers.

Back