Romantic Comedies?

I just finished watching Toradora* and I'm still hankering for some rom-com anime. I know theres an absolute sea of ones to choose from but I was hoping for a suggestion or two as something in the same kind of vien as Toradora? Thank you in advance!

*If you're a romantic comedy fan and havn't checked this out yet I suggest you do so, I don't have much frame of reference in the area but it was a very nicely done anime.

I advise you to watch Lovely Complex then, as it have a lot of good laughs, two characters who don't fall under the cliches and turn out to be solid characters... and a great cast of characters.

Plus I like some of the exaggeration, it makes it look more like a american cartoon at times with the expressions they come out with.

Don't know a lot about toradora but i would recommend Ouran High School Host Club if you haven't seen it. Its pretty crazy at times but it has a lot of rom-com elements. Plus the dvds are dirt cheap on play at the mo, the two half season sets are £8 each.

If you're after something that specifically isn't a harem series, you might want to give Kimagure Orange Road a shot. The protagonist being endowed with psychic powers feels a tad random, but the writing is strong and the characters are quite believable. That said, I'm currently on episode 11 and the last couple of episodes have been just plain stupid. The fansubs have also stalled a bit due to a lack of translators.

It leans towards nerdy wish-fulfilment, but Video Girl Ai is quite good as well and at only six episodes, it won't take up much of your time. It does go briefly into rather dark sci-fi territory toward the end though, so I dunno if it might be pushing too far off from Tora Dora.

Edit: Also yeah, seconding what Shakey said about Ouran. It's very funny, but I would argue the story doesn't really go anywhere, at least not in the anime.

Thanks very much for the reccomendations! I've seen Ouran, and I loved it.

I'm not really looking for anything supernatural or sci-fi, just your basic rom-com that's a lil' bit different.

I'm downloading the first episode of Lovely Complex, I'll let you know if I like it!

Thanks!

Professor Irony said:
If you're after something that specifically isn't a harem series, you might want to give Kimagure Orange Road a shot. The protagonist being endowed with psychic powers feels a tad random, but the writing is strong and the characters are quite believable. That said, I'm currently on episode 11 and the last couple of episodes have been just plain stupid. The fansubs have also stalled a bit due to a lack of translators.
The fansubs have stalled? Kimagure Orange Road was released subbed on R1 DVD from AnimEigo... what's the holdup? Or the point? :?

ayase said:
The fansubs have stalled? Kimagure Orange Road was released subbed on R1 DVD from AnimEigo... what's the holdup? Or the point? :?

Hmm, I wasn't actually aware AnimEigo had done the tv series - I just happened to notice Live eviL were subbing it a while back. The AnimEigo licence seems to have lapsed and LE are using the remastered Japanese DVDs to get a better picture quality, but why they're re-subbing it I couldn't say. Even their website doesn't really explain it too clearly.

/derail.

I always like a good harem show when it comes to these, although there are a good few others aswell that I 'enjoy'. Urrhum... (And when I say enjoy, I mean enjoy the funny and get pissed off at the rest...)

I just watched His And Her Circumstances which is pretty good, but it is another of those series which don't really end.

Ah My Goddess is always worth the watch.

Ah My Goddess is good, but the romance element doesn't come out as strong as it should do, but that's usually because Skuld constantly cock blocks Morisato

Ai Yori Aoshi is another rom-com worth watching 8)

I think Ah My Goddess is pretty cool with the way it handles the romance side. Morisato starts off saying he wanted Belldandy to stay with him in sort of a joking way, but by the end of the second series he is realising that he does love her.

I will have to go away and look at my DVDs to come up with more rom-com suggestions, it could be interesting to try and come up with some that are not based around schools or are out and out harem shows.

Watched all of Lovely Complex. d: Was pretty good, I thought I was just going to spend 24 episodes waiting for the main characters to (obviously) realise they liked eachother, but the plot progressed much quicker then I thought so I enoyed it. :)
The style kind of reminded me of One Piece. d:

I CAN'T STOP WATCHING, HELP ME.

Thanks for all the reccomendations ^^, I'm sure I'll find something in there that'll become my next rom-com. :)

mangaman74 said:
chaos said:
The best rom-com out there must be karekano =)

Good choice.

Also don't forget Maison Ikkoku, Love Hina and Ai Yori Aoshi.
Haven't seen Maison Ikkoku or Ai Yori Aoshi, but love hina is more harem than rom-com.

Ah My goddess is more like a rom-com, even though it has a few harem elements in it.

Blade678 said:
Kanon is my favourite Rom-com but if you watch it you have to watch the 2006 version because it is the better one
Indeed. Respective elements of rom and com are abound in the series, but expect prolonged periods without much of the latter. Not that a lack of comedy is a bad thing however- there were practically no jokes in Air beyond the introductory episodes.

chaos said:
mangaman74 said:
chaos said:
The best rom-com out there must be karekano =)

Good choice.

Also don't forget Maison Ikkoku, Love Hina and Ai Yori Aoshi.
Haven't seen Maison Ikkoku or Ai Yori Aoshi, but love hina is more harem than rom-com.

Ah My goddess is more like a rom-com, even though it has a few harem elements in it.

A list of Harem according to Wikipedia,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:H ... _and_manga

A list of rom-com according to Wikipedia,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:R ... _and_manga

According to the above Love Hina & Ai Yori Aoishi are harem shows while Oh! My Goddess, Maison Ikkoku and Ranma 1/2 are rom-com

Other rom-coms listed include Marmalade Boy, My-Hime, Video Girl Ai, Steel Angel Kurumi, El Hazard, School Rumble, Chobits, Ouran High School, Please Teacher/Please Twins, Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens, Kimagure Orange Road, Kodocha and The Familiar of Zero to name a few.

Back