Review of Berserk #6

I paid £20 for the MB brick set about 4-6 months ago. It's a tad annoying that, after I finally own the series, they're re-releasing it...

They're being picky over the subtitles - they're perfectly acceptable and don't care any misunderstandings. As for the video quality, it's hard to judge the difference based on those images because the original release screenshots were taken during movement, as if to help make the remastered release images better.

In all honesty, the Berserk DVD quality isn't that bad compared to other releases: Scrapped Priness (R1) has the worst shimmering I've ever seen, and the Cowboy Bebop also has shimmering and other video quality (including glitches) issues. I'd rather see remastered releases pf those series.

The difference is considerable, simply because it's the difference between an interlaced and a progressive transfer. The combing artefacts that are blindingly obvious when you pause the disc just won't be there on the new set. Also going back to the original film elements to master the disc means that it will be as clean and sharp as they can make it...

I can see the difference in the side by side comparison of the opening sequence, and it's astounding.

That said...

It will boil down to the final authoring of the discs. MB screwed up the first set by putting the stereo sound in as mono, and they never fixed that until now. And it may be worth seeing if there are any similar nightmares with the new set that need resolving.

Also, while I am tempted by this set. I have to be honest and say that Berserk isn't the most graphically stupendous anime ever made. In fact, I always ragged on it for looking older than its age, and put off watching each subsequent disc because of it. It took about thirty seconds for me to be hooked by the story each time, but the look of it does still put me off. No matter how much the print is cleaned up, it won't look any newer or better animated.

I am seriously tempted by the set, but by the same token I'm very happy with my MVM discs. I can even put up with the videotape glitches that appear on disc one.

I think it's a simple recommendation. Berserk is a series that has to be seen, and is well worth owning. If you don't own it, this remastered boxset is the obvious choice. But if you do own it already, I guess its better if you have £18 spare and absolutely nothing else on the planet to spend it on.

I actually like the look of Berserk. Yeah, it's done on the cheap, but traditional hand-painted cell animation holds a special appeal for me, even if the cell count itself is rather low. Some modern TV animation looks sterile and bland in comparison.

Back