Review: Haibane Renmei #1

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Having recently posted my review of Haibane Renmei #1 (out in the UK last Monday from MVM), Anime UK News has officially passed the milestone of 100 reviews; it's taken us just under a year, but I think it's been worth the effort. Thanks for reading and enjoy the review.<ul><span class="menu">Yoshitoshi ABe has done it again with Haibane Renmei; a series that simply defies description. This is a serious emotional drama, covered with interesting religious symbolism and carried by some inspired moments of intense beauty. Some scenes in this first volume you will carry with you for a long time after watching; quite frankly, this is an outstanding piece of work.</span></ul><a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/viewreview.php?showreview=113">Read the full review.</a>

I 've been looking forward to this series for some time, the premise is intruiging and the characters look fantastic, and if it manages to capture even a little of Lain's beauty and ambiguity I'll be more than happy.

Im rather torn on this series ( its something I wont be picking up right away , but am considering getting once its finished ) . Lain was a bit too much for me ( I like to have a vauge idea whats going on at least ) , but the charecter designs in this really do look wonderful.

MangaMinX said:
Im rather torn on this series ( its something I wont be picking up right away , but am considering getting once its finished ) . Lain was a bit too much for me ( I like to have a vauge idea whats going on at least ) , but the charecter designs in this really do look wonderful.

Haibane Renmei is a lot more accessable and upbeat than Lain. It's a very intelligent series, but has it's fair share of comedy and drama. It's comparable to Fruits Basket.

Paul said:
Haibane Renmei is a lot more accessable and upbeat than Lain. It's a very intelligent series, but has it's fair share of comedy and drama. It's comparable to Fruits Basket.

That sounds promising , looks like this will have to be something I will have to get eventually then :D

i would say this serie has alot more darker side to it then fruits basket and its very thougt provokeing, even tho all this is hapening it still keeps its cuteness and makes you feel very good inside after watching.

@Manga_Minx if you want a series from the same people as Lain but a lot more light hearted, with an extremely sweet cast of characters, then go for Niea_7 (Niea Under Seven).
I've had Haibane Renmei for a while now and it is a great show but I do like trying to promote Niea_7 to everyone :lol: (and it's about time it got a UK release as well!!)

Miaka-chan said:
@Manga_Minx if you want a series from the same people as Lain but a lot more light hearted, with an extremely sweet cast of characters, then go for Niea_7 (Niea Under Seven).
I've had Haibane Renmei for a while now and it is a great show but I do like trying to promote Niea_7 to everyone :lol: (and it's about time it got a UK release as well!!)

Another series to look into!

my copy arrived this morning and all i can say is, wow. absolutely stunning. it's so subtle and heartwarming - not your average anime series by any means but maybe that's what makes it so special. as Paul said, it's hard to put your finger on what exactly makes it so magical, but once the episodes start you just sit back and enjoy it. definitely one of my faves for this year.

Back