Review: Gundam SEED #2

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
I've posted my review of Beez's Mobile Suit Gundam SEED #2; five more mecha-filled episodes of this popular reinvention of the Gundam franchise. Out now in the UK.<ul class="menu2">"Life on the claustrophobic Archangel intensifies in Gundam SEED #2 as the ship becomes more and more isolated from the Earth forces and is manipulated into constant battle. The characterization is twisting and turning as people start to realize their lives are in the hands of a mere “Coordinatorâ€

Nice review :) You've certainly highlighted the better things about Seed - the genetic engineering conflict is certainly what sets the series apart from the earlier UC series that it shamelessly rips the basic ideas from. Episode 6 (on this very volume) is a prime example of the worst of Seed's deriativeness, and to quote MAHQ

"I've seen this episode before, but under the title "Escape From Luna II" and featuring characters such as Amuro Ray."

Still, these episodes are an early peak IMO. There is some very good character development... volume 3 contains a dull clip-show followed by a quasi-clip-show, and the seemingly obligatory Gundam desert to sea story arc in volume 4 and 5 is somewhat uninteresting. Volume 6 has some of the best of the series' episodes... but falls victim against to the Seed generation's dire need for clip show after clip show... then the series finally hits it's stride.

So yes, Volume 2 = Great IMO, barring the deja-vu ness of Episode 6, which is still compelling in its own right.

At this point if I had to compare Gundam SEED to another anime series, it would be the underrated Inifinite Ryvius. Both series (at least so far) are about teenage crews isolated from adult authority and forced into positions of responsibility. The fact they both share the same creative staff is unsurprising.

I find it fascinating to see how each individual reacts in this kind of situation and how little groups of power form amongst friends, betrayal and loyality are soon questioned. The development of Flay was quite a pleasant surprise (if that's the right word) and she has definently added a murker edge to what was at first just some straight forward war dilemma for Kira and the gang.

This set of episodes were really good and I'm disappointed to hear the next volume will contain a dreaded clip episode; I just can't get enough of Gundam at the moment!

valha said:
the only real big problem i have with gundam seed is all the clip episode. Way to many and they just so boring.

Yes, and in that regard I'm much happier with Destiny's method of putting recaps into their own, number-less episodes, which prevents Destiny being flooded with too many recap episodes. Although it does contain a lot of flashbacks to Seed.

It's true that Seed invokes a feeling of deja vu when being compared with the original series, but I prefer Seed over many Gundam series due to it's character development and focus on relasionships as well as the exhilarating and superbly animated combat.

And Paul, Fllay quickly became my most hated anime character of all time. :twisted: And I know how you feel about Gundam; I'm also going through a phase of loving the whole franchise (Well, maybe not the whole franchise, but quite a bit of it).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back