Review: Blood - The Last Vampire

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Today's review comes from Martin Butler in the form of Production I.G's vampire showcase; Blood - The Last Vampire. This is a notoriously short film, but one that packs more than enough monsters, vampires and samurai swords to satisfy even the most ardent of horror fans.<ul><span class=menu>"Although a masterpiece of the blending of CGI and traditional animation and brimming with action, atmosphere and suspense, 'Blood...' is let down by its frustratingly short running time. This makes it a phenomenally well-made film, but crying out for a sequel."</span></ul><a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/viewreview.php?showreview=94">Read full review</a>.

You like to update at night don't you? :mrgreen:

Then again, why am I at this website right now when I should be completing my coursework?

*kicks his but back to work*

Hehe. And now, with a full time job, these late night updates are going to become a lot more common from me. I've got a home-made website timetable sitting beside me (with my reviews and updates for the week ahead planned out) to make sure I don't let myself slip. It's a hard job, this uk anime webmastering lark ;)

And Blood is a great little movie too. Though I agree with Martin's review, it really needs some kind of sequel or TV series to flesh out the story and characters a little more.

Paul said:
Hehe. And now, with a full time job, these late night updates are going to become a lot more common from me. I've got a home-made website timetable sitting beside me (with my reviews and updates for the week ahead planned out) to make sure I don't let myself slip. It's a hard job, this uk anime webmastering lark ;)

And Blood is a great little movie too. Though I agree with Martin's review, it really needs some kind of sequel or TV series to flesh out the story and characters a little more.

IIRC, the movie itself was meant to be a smaller part of a larger media campaign that involving Manga and maybe movies. I don't know whether or not that's what actually happened.

I bought this years ago, watched it once and did something I never usually do, I sold it on!
It was good but because it had such a frustrating non ending, I knew I would never watch it again!
There are lots of anime out there with frustrating endings but at least they are longer than 45 minutes :(

In case anyone's interested, there is a sequel to Blood, kind of. It's Blood 2002: The Last Vampire, a manga by Benkyo Tamaki that's published by Dark Horse in the West.

It's pretty good, although fairly vague and the ending is very open again. It's quite sexually explicit though (Tamaki is apparently a well-known erotic manga artist), so it might not appeal to all the fans of the ProdIG anime.

I watched this at a friends house, and found it boring and hard to follow because I lost interest. I didn't think the art itself was that great compared to others and it didn't explain who the main character actually was very well. Although it was sorta funny because the nurse who refused to die in it looks identicle to an old english teacher. However I'm glad I didn't spend my own money on it.

Back