Review: Akira

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Having concentrated on bringing you reviews for the latest anime DVD releases, Anime UK News has yet to review much in the way of 'classic' anime DVDs. Helping to fill this void is Martin Butler, a new anime reviewer who we hope to be seeing much more of on this site over these coming weeks! His first review looks at perhaps the most famous anime of all time; Akira!<ul><span class=menu>This film was a benchmark for the Japanese animation industry, and can still hold its own today. The quality of animation, higher than anything else in Japan at the time, still compares reasonably well with more recent, CGI, efforts, considering every cel was hand-painted (right down to individual lighted windows of skyscrapers in the backgrounds!).</span></ul><a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/viewreview.php?showreview=72">Read full review</a>.

re: the different dubs

Its a shame they didnt do what Madman did, include both dubs on the same disc.

Still need to get round to seeing this.

Good 'ol Akira. I still want <a href="http://www.neo-fukuoka.com/" target="_blank">the bike.</a> I watched the film half dubbed half subbed, the reason why I watched it that way eludes me though...

Akira is the only film we have ever scored with a 10 out of 10. In terms of stunning visuals, historical impact and brutal influence; Akira is perhaps the most important anime, ever.

I'm just thinking, what other anime come close to matching the impact and influential nature of Akira? I would say Cowboy Bebop, Vision of Escaflowne, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Spirited Away.

Don't forget Astroboy! I doubt there'd be much of an anime industry if it weren't for that show.

Good review, I agree with almost every word. This was one of my first anime and still one of my faves.

On a related note, has anyone checked out the capsule toys from Kaiyodo? They're in their third series right now and they're just gorgeous. Tiny but full of detail and life.

Back