Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Oh no, sorry dude! It's always so annoying when you feel the time would have been better spent watching something else. I recall the point of the ending being okay but I guess my expectations had been significantly lowered in the knowledge that a planned second season never happened heh. Characters are definitely unlikeable as intended. That aspect for me was reminiscent of scum's wish in which I found every character quite unlikeable but still couldn't help liking the anime a fair bit. Hey ho, hopefully you'll get a run of some great ones to make up for it!
See I loved Scums Wish. When i look at Flowers of Evil I've seen other stuff that do the things it does and i enjoyed them. The issue I think is that FoE does all of them at once and it became too much. For me at least.

See if I'd known more about the show maybe I'd have waited until I was more in the mood for it. I dont know. But I haven't looked up what a shows about in years. I just buy anime and watch it (and by and large the cover art let's me know the type of show its gonna be.) And 99% of the time the surprise is part of the enjoyment. Unfortunately this show fell into the bracket that couldve used some mental preparation before starting it

megalobox - 8/10
Really enjoyed this. The 90’s style animation really drew me in and the background art (which IMO really sold the 90’s style) was a thing of beauty. As with every series I enjoy the characters were great but Joe is exactly my kinda lead character.. a sarcastic git 😂 That not to take anything away from the other characters who were also fantastic, Yuri, Gansaku Nanbu (I don’t really remeber hearing his name in it tbh) and my fave out of the side characters Sachio

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun

It was pretty good. Probably not quite as amazing as I initially expected it to be, but still an enjoyable show!

It's based on a 4-koma manga and I think it works a little better in that form than it does as an anime. The humour can come quite thick and fast, but episodes can often feel slow in parts when the comedy dies down. I'm not sure it's really suited to 20-minute episodes TBH.

The special episodes succeed more - there are six of them, at three minutes a piece. That's still more or less the length of a normal episode, so maybe it's just psychological, but this format trims the fat and seems to highlight the humour much better.

Most of the humour comes from A) Nozaki being absolutely gormless (and Chio's reactions to it) and B) the weird activities of Seo and Kashima (the female support characters)

The male support characters are pretty rubbish - there are three of them and they're pretty much indistinguishable from each other. The female characters are all really good though - they've got distinct personalities and it feels like they actually contribute to the scenes.

A nice, gentle series with lots of funny moments, but sometimes the pace can dip and it feels like it's dragging a bit - 7/10 (and 8/10 for the specials)

See I loved Scums Wish. When i look at Flowers of Evil I've seen other stuff that do the things it does and i enjoyed them. The issue I think is that FoE does all of them at once and it became too much. For me at least.

See if I'd known more about the show maybe I'd have waited until I was more in the mood for it. I dont know. But I haven't looked up what a shows about in years. I just buy anime and watch it (and by and large the cover art let's me know the type of show its gonna be.) And 99% of the time the surprise is part of the enjoyment. Unfortunately this show fell into the bracket that couldve used some mental preparation before starting it
Very true, definitely one you need to mentally prepare for and also be in the right mood for. I was watching alongside some comedy/romcom ones for balance heh and I guess Evangelion helped immunise me to darker animes very effectively a while back. Even then, I could only tolerate so much of FoE in one sitting, certainly not the most palatable watch and I completely agree with your points.

Very true, definitely one you need to mentally prepare for and also be in the right mood for. I was watching alongside some comedy/romcom ones for balance heh and I guess Evangelion helped immunise me to darker animes very effectively a while back. Even then, I could only tolerate so much of FoE in one sitting, certainly not the most palatable watch and I completely agree with your points.
The darker animes is how I started lol. But you're right this was something else!

Bakugan: Battle Planet

I know "kiddy" battle shows like this aren't really very popular in the anime community, but I love them all. Stuff like Beyblade, Buddyfight, Yu-Gi-Oh - give them all to me!

Battle Planet was one of my favs I've seen in the genre. There's a nice varied cast of characters, sinister organisations, loads of cool-looking monsters, lots of bright colours, bad guys becoming allies, a dog as one of the main characters - it had everything I want in a show like this.

The story was really enjoyable, with a few funny/silly episodes mixed in with the battling - then it got a bit more serious in the later stages (with a big enemy to fight), but still kept things pretty light.

Overall, I really really liked it. It was easy to get into, it looked very nice and everyone was likeable - 10/10

Street Fighter II: The Movie - 7/10 (rewatch)
As always the animation and fights are solid but I felt the pace just seemed so quick and it jumps from fight to fight. Caught me on the wrong night I think, still like it, just didn’t enjoy it as much as usuak

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie - 8/10 (Rewatch)
Its classic, need i say more. still in aw of the fight scenes the animation is simple breathtaking. I did feel it was a little slow in the middle this time around... maybe it’s from watching SFII the night before and it’s quick pacing.

8 Man After - 7/10 (Rewatch)
Watched this over the last 2 nights. First time I watched this I enjoyed the first 2 eps but not the 2nd 2. Not sure why as I really enjoyed it this time round. Much better than I remember as was the English dub.. not brilliant but definitely watchable. Some good action, a ripped off cyborg limbs along the way.. my kinda anime 😂 No doubt that the manga for this had a big influence on Robocop... which is one of my fave 80’s films

Wolf's Rain

p19e24m3n31vqhhjt1321gc0r513.jpg

"The gates of hell are open night and day;
Smooth the descent, and easy is the way:
But to return, and view the cheerful skies,
In this the task and mighty labor lies."

- Virgil, Aeneid

Wolf's Rain is set in the twilight of a world populated by mankind and shapeshifters with the true form of a wolf. It's not really specified why the world is dying, but it appears to be some combination of sin (nuclear warfare, bioengineering, general hubris) and climate change. We follow four wolves on their journey to find Paradise - an undefined Promised Land where they hope to find a future and escape the bleak landscapes of their current world. In the background there are conflicts between the Nobles, under whose control the world is divided up between, who are after their own vision of Paradise.

It's a relatively short series at 26 episodes, four of which are pointless recaps, and four concluding OVAs. I've read criticism that it is rushed but I have to disagree - it takes its time where it needs to and the main cast are all effectively developed to the purposes of the series. There are ambiguities in some areas becausewhen the end of times is nearing there isn't really any need for window dressing; to paraphrase one of the characters in the series, upon watching an army mobilising toward battle, it's just the scenery going by.

There's something masterful about the way that the series maintains its elegiac tone, its taste of melancholy, and how this invests you in the main characters as you clutch at every hint that happiness will be before them even when the compass is telling you otherwise. 8.

Steamboy - 8/10 (Rewatch)
Always enjoyed this, I love the concept of steam powered machinery. The main character spending most of the movie escaping danger, the anti war, humans messing with science themes. Add in a very good voice cast (minus Anna Paquins Manchester accent 😂) and for me you have a cracker. Also the animation is superb. I do still feel a couple of cgi scenes look a tad out of place but with each watch I notice them less and less.

Back Street Girls ~GOKUDOLS~

It's crap.

A mixture of idols and yakuza seemed like something that would really appeal to me. But it didn't.

The animation is probably the worst I've seen in any anime in recent memory. It's like those "motion comics" that came out in the early days of DVDs where it was just a load of still images and the only movement was the mouth of the character who was speaking.

In ~GOKUDOLS~, groups of people stand around like unblinking statues while one character talks. Sometimes you just get a closeup of someone's eyes while they speak, with absolutely no onscreen movement. Occasionally it's just a shot of the ceiling for five seconds while people just standing around swearing at each other - but really, that's a blessing, because all the characters look so grotesque and emaciated.

I'd guess the whole series had a budget of about £12, with most of that being spent on the Just Dance (the video game, not Lady Gaga)-style motion capture for the opening (speaking of video games, you'll find better animation in the cutscenes of any random Game Boy Advance game).

Occasionally, a funny moment (or just something really weird and bizarre) would slip in - these flashes of brilliance were just about enough to keep me watching.

Unfortunately, most of the humour is in pretty bad taste, generally relating to stuff (farts, poo or blood) coming out of the characters backsides or weird sex stuff. The characters are almost all next to impossible like or even care about (one idol character is nice, but she's hardly makes any appearances).

If you like yakuza stuff, play a Yakuza game instead. If you like idol stuff, watch Aggretsuko season 3. If you like watching things, pick literally any other TV show or movie and you'll probably find more to enjoy than you would in this disaster,

~GOKUDOLS~ is just rubbish. I wasted my time watching it and now I'm wasting my time writing about it - 2/10

If you like yakuza stuff, play a Yakuza game instead. If you like idol stuff, watch Aggretsuko season 3. If you like watching things, pick literally any other TV show or movie and you'll probably find more to enjoy than you would in this disaster,

~GOKUDOLS~ is just rubbish. I wasted my time watching it and now I'm wasting my time writing about it - 2/10
Dude!!! 🤣

I just love your reviews!!

Goblin Slayer - 8/10
Very fun series with plenty of hack n slash action and lots of blood... right up my street... loved the little nods to the Hobbit aswell

Iria - Zeiram the Animation 7/10
The first episode was pretty good and 2nd one decent but I felt it went a little flat the next 2 eps but the last 2 were brilliant so overall I’d recommend this. I particularly loved the the vehicles, weapons and gadgets. There’s defo a Star Wars influence here... in terms of the setting it kinda reminded me of tatooine.

Goku Midnight Eye - 7/10 (Rewatch)

I definitely think the first episode is the better one as it’s the intro to the character (love an origin story me) and I felt despite them seeming to have more money (judging by the quality in animation) for the 2nd part it seemed more about the bad guy than Goku. Overall same as I felt last time a solid 7/10 and a worthy Cyberpunk OVA for the collection. Also the US dub is better than the UK I mean it is Steve Blum as Goku and that Ending Theme may just be my favourite ending themes ever... 80’s gold that is

Vampire Hunter D - 6/10 (Re-watch but with Sentai Dub)
Always loved the character but I often remember when rewatching that I’m not as keen on this one as I am bloodlust. I think the director took what he had and perfected it in the sequel. I think it comes off a bit dated now aswell and that’s coming from someone who loves this era of anime. The coloured lines in the backgrounds always grated me and still does

On the Sentai dub I think it’s a massive improvement on the original. I flicked through my old Manga UK DVD copy to compare. The old dub is quite dated now and a lot of the newer voices were very well done. Not sure about the western accents but seeing this time a clear western influence on the film I can see why Sentai went that way.

As for the new transfer... wow what an improvement over that DVD I have. Can’t wait for Venus Wars now.

Hi Score Girl II

Fighting games and romance are two things I've always found absolutely impenetrable. Whenever I've dabbled with one or the other, I've always ended up confused, frustrated and feeling like I've wasted my time and/or money.

In Hi Score Girl, love clashes with games like Super Street Fighter II Turbo, much like how one of those flaming uppercuts Ryu does makes contact with Sagat's jaw. I didn't always understand what was happening (with the gaming or the feelings), but I liked it anyway.

Obviously, this is the second season (the clue is in the "II" in the name) - if you've seen the first season (and the OVAs), you'll know what to expect. The characters are the same, the basic story is the same, the games being played might be the same but they might be different but TBH I don't really know because they're all fighting games and fighting games all have about 17 different versions so yeah.

Haruo (who only really cares about games and absolutely nothing else) still only really cares about games, but is also still in the middle of a love triangle with two girls fighting over him, like Chun Li fighting Cammy to see who gets to go on a date with Blanka.

His choices: A) a sweet down-to-earth girl who actually seems to like him and is generally nice to him or; B) a rich gremlin who physically abuses him at every opportunity.

I think the choice should be obvious, but like I said - similar to Jon Snow (the guy with the sword, not the TV newsreader), I know nothing about all this stuff. So there's a love triangle with this awful gremlin in it.

Anyway - the story is nice. There's loads of humour, a lot of talk about fighting games (if you're a fan, I'm sure you'll appreciate the references and cameos), plenty of emotional stuff and I think it looks pretty nice too. When I started watching the original series, I found the character designs kinda grotesque, but I grew to really like the style. Everyone has squashed heads and weird shaped eyes and really fluffy eyelashes, but it all just works.

The supporting case is pretty great. Haruo's mother is funny, I fell a little bit in love with the gremlin's big sister, there's a quirky butler - really, I like all the characters in the show apart from the gremlin.

Overall, it's a really nice series. The gremlin is probably one of my least favourite anime characters ever, but I still liked the show a lot - 8/10

Back