RahXephon: The Movie

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Have you seen RahXephon: The Movie? What did you make of it? I just finished watching it.

Again, this is another anime movie lumbered with mixed reviews. I enjoyed it enough for it's 2hr running time to pass in a flash, but then I also have to a question a few things.

As much as I love the tragic 'Asahina arc' of the TV series, it seemed a bit pointless including it in the film. This wasted time should have been spent further building up the main characters. The story development seemed a bit off in places too, particularly during the mid-section with Ayato fighting for TERRA, it felt very rushed and if I hadn't already seen the TV series, I would have been wondering about the importance of TERRA, Quon and everything else. As a result, certain scenes weren't as dramatic as they should have been.

On the flip side, the Ayato/Haruka relationship was just as strong and meaningful as it is in TV series, even if they get it on far earlier in the film. The condensed plot was strangely a lot easier to follow in this bite-size form, from the history of Ayato's mother to the effects of the Mu civilization.

It's definently a good movie, though something just seemed lacking. It isn't as tension filled as the TV series, I didn't get the impression that humanity was in real, desperate danger. They should have dropped a few of the mecha battles, focussed on building the romance and the story a little more. At the same time, I still love the story behind Ayato and Haruka. I liked how at the start of the movie, we spend more time with them as school kids before they are seperated by Tokyo Jupiter.

Basically, this film has a great opening 45mins and a great ending 30mins but loses a lot of focus during the mid-section where BONES obviously wanted to include as much of big events of the TV series as possible.

Anyway, that's enough ramblings for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the series is the best format. The movie is basically a cut down retelling of the series with a few extra bits.

Videl said:
i have it but only seen eps 1-3 of the series

should i watch the series before i see the movie?

Don't even think about watching the movie without having watched the series. The movie will spoil the plot of the series since it's essentially a re-telling of the RahXephon story in movie format, and therer are things made apparent right off the bat that you won't find out in the series until much later.

Having said that, I haven't actually seen the movie myself yet, but I want to. From what I understand, it helps clear up some things about why's and how's that weren't made clear in the series.

i'll definitely look into the feature-length, but have to watch the last four volumes of the series yet. i can't believe i didn't start buying it earlier...

I meant to get the movie this week but then a reasonably priced copy of .hack//OUTBREAK came up on eBay so that ended up taking priority. Anyway, I'll probably get it next week- even if it's not perfect it still sounds good enough to warrant checking out.

well I saw this last weekend at the sci-fi london on tour all nighter. I havent seen the series so had already resigned myself to not really knowing what was going on in this film but even so this had far too many parts that meant absolutely nothing!

because of the editing there were quite a few scenes where previous bit-part players suddenly become the centre of attention and you are left wondering who the heck they are. the film appears to have about 5 or 6 endings, even outdoing return of the king for protracted ending to a movie. and pauls right about pointless additions of story arcs - who was this asahina, whilst it was a nice segment in the film there was no escaping the fact that it came across as only a part of a much larger story.

none of this was helped by the fact that at the screening this film had no dialogue audio for the first half of the film, just the music & soundeffects. if it hadnt been subbed it would have been truly impossible to follow any of it :x

Yeah, the series is the best format. The movie is basically a cut down retelling of the series with a few extra bits.

thanks for the warning lol didn't want a repeat of my death and rebirth experience lol

Back