Public Speaking

harkins

Adventurer
Just wondered if anyone on here has ever done any public speaking?

I ask because in July I have the ‘honour’ (yeah right) of being a best man. And in all honesty I don’t want to do it (because of the speech). My mate kind of knew I didn’t want to and even offered me the chance to resign just before Christmas. But telling your best mate that you don’t want to be his best man seems so wrong. So, now with only a couple of months to go, there seems no way out.

And instead of spending the last six months trying to come up with some ideas for a speech, I spent four months thinking that they’ll probably just split up and then the last two months trying to devise ways of getting out of it.

I’ve considered getting myself arrested the night before. But I can’t think of a crime that will keep me in a police cell long enough to make sure I miss the wedding but not so serious that I end up with a life effecting criminal record.

Less elaborate but similarly rubbish plans have been; getting some other friends to smash fire alarms causing time wasting interruptions to the after dinner speeches and a fake abduction.

But at the end of the day I’m going to have to go ahead with it. So can anyone offer some gems of advice?

Public speaking no, a couple presentations to a large group yes. I'm Not good at it I shake quite baddly and I get really light headed, even after i'm finished I still shake for like half an hour after it

I have however sung to large groups of people at a wedding and a stag do for a mate of mine. I was stone cold sobber and nervous as hell, but Just closed my eyes & Started singing [Helped that i know the lyrics to almost everything]. It doesn't help you but you don't have to see the peoples reactions.

to see a fool singing at a wedding type "How you remind me not to sing at a wedding" into youtube

This reminds me of that advert with the nervous guy and wireless broadband.

It's kinda hard to give advice, because conventionally, as far as best man speeches go, you'll just be poking fun at his traits and what not?

I have no idea what I'm talking about, but to be honest I'd say you'd have to know the person at least vaguely before you could cop out a best man speech.

Oh, try running around naked - should get you a few days in the thugjug. 8)

I was never any good at this I always froze up or stuttered in the end I found the only way to get through it was to drink a few pints of beer before all my uni and college presentations that seemed to work a treat for me

Not too sure myself, since I've never done anything like it.
But I have done presentations to classes, lead kids for a community sports thing and that's some public experience...

But this kind of thing, I would try to look (personally) for these topics:

1) Think about what you and your mate/groom did in the past. How you met up, best times, first impressions, etc.
2) For such a formal occation, a joke or 2 is fine, but try to be a comedian (or have lengthy jokes) only makes you a fool. Obvious jokes are sometimes better, as long as they're not too embarassing for the couple, but ain't duds.
3) Talk about how you were introduced/met the wife. Again, talk about 1st impressions, but also try to compliment her. If not looks, personality, or things that make you trust her. Say too much, and the people/groom may raise an eyebrow.
4) Say something about a hopeful future and then ask everyone to raise their glasses, etc.

Don't forget, before any speeches, tap the glass numerous times (usually 2/3 time) to get people's attention.

That's all I know about it. May be good or bad advice, but I hope some of it is useful. Also, I'm guessing your mate's a guy, but please think the opposite roles if it's a woman.

I've had to do crap like this lots of times and always don't want to do it/regret wanting to do it, but in the end I do end up speaking infront of a large crowd, and really, it wasn't as bad as I pressumed. You should just go ahead with it, at first you'll feel all nervous but once you get it started and actually have something worthy to say [Hopefully you do, I can't help you with this part] just relax, and be yourself during the speech, try to be your casual self.

You sound desperate to get out of it, but if its your best mate then you have to do it. Just one of those things in life that if called on, no matter what, you have to go through with it. As a best man, I guess all you have to do is just draw on your experiences with the guy, surely you have some funny anecdotes to tell about something stupid he said when he was young? People won't expect you to be a confident comedian or anything like that, you just have to speak from the heart and most people will enjoy your speech. That's how I'd do it anyway :)

I had to do an art presentation a few weeks ago in front of a room filled with people. Oh man it was hell, I was up there for nearly an hour trying to keep it interesting enough for people to be awake to give me a round of polite claps at the end.

Good luck with that though.

Just read a Script from some Random Shojo anime; but make it into a Story about someone who knew someone who knew someone who did this kind of thing.

Hope i was helpful.

My mate was told he didn't have to give a speach at the reception so was relieved right up until the meal was done and the father of the bride started yelling speach. He had to come up with something with only seconds to prepare, it actually went really well which surprised us all as usually he is hopeless at public speaking

Back